OTA to Cable Card

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Laughs Brightly, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Laughs Brightly

Laughs Brightly Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Ohio
    I'm going to be getting free basic cable. I currently have 5 Tivos running OTA signals and I was thinking of converting one of my Roamios that has the cable card slot (not an OTA) over to cable card so I can pick up this one station that has been coming in pretty fuzzy lately.
    Wondering if I can do that without losing recordings? Cable company insists on sending a tech out to install the card so I want to have my ducks in a row before I waste $50.
    The lady I spoke with didn't have a clue, but she seemed to think (since this was basic cable) they could hand me a DTA and I could plug that into the Tivo and wouldn't need the cable card.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Running Guided Setup does not cause a loss of recordings. You will lose some of your settings. Too bad you can't install it yourself. It's pretty easy.

As prep: do the change to cable card, just say "install later". After it's all done, power off. It will detect the cable card when you apply power.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'll definitely need a CableCARD, but you may also require a Switched Digital Video (SDV) tuning adapter, depending on your provider ... and your channel package. (Even if your provider requires a SDV tuning adapter for some channels ... e.g. premiums ... you could go without the tuning adapter if the channels you wish to tune/record are not allocated to SDV.)

You'll also need a coax feed from the cable provider to the DVR isolated from your OTA antenna coax plant.