OTA Roamio error "insufficient bandwith" during-Amazon prime movie

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JudySue, Jan 24, 2016.

1. JudySue

JudySue New Member

Jan 19, 2016

Advertisements

I Set up my newly purchased Amazon OTA Roamio two days ago and everything worked fine til- just now got message Set up my newly purchased Amazon OTA Roamio Past two days now, everything worked fine til just now got message "insufficient bandwith" mid-Amazon prime movie I have already watched without issue yesterday.

What does tis mean? do I need a more expensive internet package? I am supposed to have 15 mps via Cox" mid-Amazon prime movie I have already watched without issue yesterday.

What does tis mean? do I need a more expensive internet package? I am supposed to have 15 mps via Cox
    settings says signal strength is 42% and also says "marginal" not sure if it is fluctuating and was better signal strength yesterday,but what would cause bandwith to fluctuate or decrease?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Are other people in the house streaming movies or music? Playing video games online? Are you connecting the Roamio via wifi? You might not have a strong wifi signal if so.

3. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    The signal strength is always going to be fluctuating. Electrical devices, electronics or all sorts etc all generate sources of interference. Usage of your wireless by other devices, and your neighbors wireless networks, etc are all interacting.

There are many ways to improve the situation, some much easier than others:
    -is your internet router near your tivo? Switching to wired internet would certainly simplify the situation and give you 100% of your signal.

-The "shape" of the wireless signal is not a sphere around the router and can be blocked or interfered with. Move the orientation of the router around and see if the signal strength improves. Sometimes rotating it a couple of degrees, or lying it on its side, or moving it out from behind a metal desk, etc can make a huge difference. Similarly, the positioning of the Tivo can make a big difference... is it buried in a stack of components? can it be moved so that it has better "line of sight" to the router, with less electronics in between them?

-There are different wireless channels. Depending on other wireless networks around you, some are going to be much "cleaner" than others. There are smartphone apps that show wireless channels and which are cleanest, and then you go into your router's setup and specify which channel to broadcast on.

-There are wifi network boosters/expanders

-There is powerline network adapters

4. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    WiFi speed decreases with distance.

42% is not good - and as noted, marginal.

Furthermore, most WiFi systems will not pass 15 Mbps.

If you are using another device on the WiFi and it is 802.11B only, it will slow down the entire WiFi.

And finally, just because Cox has 15Mbps to your neighborhood, does not mean you are getting the full amount, depending on others on your node.

Bottom line, a direct wired connection from your router is always best - and with a 42% signal, would make a major difference.

Just because you were able to watch a day ago - that could have been under very different circumstances, as PSU_Sudzi and Ignad noted.