OTA Reception

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by vphares, Mar 21, 2011.

1. vphares

vphares New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Shreveport, LA

Advertisements

Yesterday I replaced my Wineguard GS-2200 batwing antenna with an Antenna Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna plus a Channel Master Titan 2 pre-amp.

Here is a table showing the signal strength on my Tivo Premiere.

Channel Original Signal Revised Signal
    3.1 73 72
    3.2 70 72
    3.3 73 72
    6.1 60 84
    12.1 70 80
    12.2 75 82
    21.1 46 79
    24.1 62 83
    24.2 60 83
    24.3 63 84
    33.1 61 61
    45.1 68 70

I don't understand why 3.1-3.3, 33.1 and 45.1 did not improve. But I'm very impressed by the improvements to 6.1, 12.1-12.2, and 24.1-24.3.

In the bedroom I have an old analog TV using a digital converter box. I didn't check the signal strength before installing the new antenna but now I have 97-100% signals on every channel.

Can't explain why I can get 97-100% on 33.1 in one room but only 61% in another while many other channels show improvement on the same cable. Is the problem the Tivo Premiere?

I'm in Shreveport, LA. I used TVFool and AntennaWeb to determine where to point the new antenna.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There are no set standards for "signal Strength" ratings. Therefor you can not compare them from device to device as 90 in one device may mean the same as 80 in another.

I have 3 tivos (Series 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere) all connected to the same splitter and they all have different signal strength numbers for the same channel.

That said the Premiere seems to have more issues with OTA reception compared to my TV or even the older Series 3 or TiVo HD (which are also not as good as my TV).

Good Luck,

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I wonder if the length of coax going from the splitter to each of the TiVos is having an influence on the numbers?

4. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Vic,

I was assigned to Barksdale AFB at the turn of the century. I'm glad to hear that the local broadcasters have finally gotten full power digital signals with HD to the local populace. They really seemed opposed to the idea when I was there.:rolleyes:

What kind of cabling are you using with your 91XG, RG-6 or RG-59? The reason I ask is because you have no increase in indicated signal strength on the channels that are at the highest real frequency (not virtual channel).

Here is your list of stations rearrange by real channel and then by virtual channel.

• real virtual
    • 15 6.1
    • 17 12.1, 12.2
    • 21 21.1
    • 24 24.1, 24.2, 24.3
    • 28 3.1, 3.2, 3.3
    • 34 33.1
    • 44 45.1

As you can see, the stations at the highest frequencies showed little or no improvement in measured signal strength. This suggests you may have some signal loss due to cabling quality, cable run length, or connectors. Make sure you have good quality RG-6 cable from the antenna all the way to your TVs and Tivo. No old RG-59 that Cox or Time Warner installed in the 1970s or 80s.

You might also want to go into the service menus for your Tivo to get more information. On my Series 3 I can get the Reed-Solomon corrected error rate and uncorrected error rate for the two stations that I have tuned. Strictly speaking, you don't just want the highest absolute signal strength, you want the highest quality signal. You need to minimize or eliminate uncorrected RS errors, not just use an amp or preamp to peg the signal at 97% or higher.

If the picture looks fine and it isn't breaking up, don't worry about any of this.:D

5. Eamus Catuli

Eamus Catuli Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Toronto ON...

Advertisements

Can you post a link to your TVFool report? I have an idea about my issue, which may be the same as yours but I'd need to see your TVFool report to be sure. I'd also need to know where you are aiming your antenna.

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The Series 3 & Tivo HD are fairly close the Premiere always shows a significantly lower number (10 points or more). However the Premiere will still provide a good picture with a similarly lower number. When I first got the Premiere I was somewhat concerned so I did some testing and swapped cables back and forth between the 3 Tivos. The Premiere was always lower no matter what cable I used.

Like I said the problem is there is no mandated industry standard for what 100% signal strength is. So one device can say you have 95% signal strength and another device can say the same signal is only 85% signal strength. As has already been stated other measurements are of more importance and what really matters is if you get a good picture or not.

Thanks,

7. vphares

vphares New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Shreveport, LA
    Here is a link to my TVFool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8d1781a5b4d5ed

JimboG, thank you! That makes sense. Although I had all new RG-6 run to each of the rooms about 3-4 years ago, I will go back to check connections to the splitter in the attic. Plus I plan to change the short cable run from the antenna to the pre-amp on the roof.

With no weather issues I have a great picture on every channel. But my problem in the past has been when the weather is stormy.

Note that I have the antenna pointed at 340 degrees but that also points directly into a huge pine tree in my neighbor's backyard. But the whole northern area in front of my house in populated with huge pine trees. There is no getting around that.

Thanks for the responses!
    Vic

8. Eamus Catuli

Eamus Catuli Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Toronto ON...
    Sorry, your problem is different than mine. I don't think I can help. :(