OTA reception bad

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Spiky, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Just got a Premier, OTA only. Reception on one channel is bad. Channel/frequency 9 is horrific (30-50 on Tivo meter, often dropping out completely), although freq 11 is in the high 80s, so it isn't just VHF. And all other channels from the same transmission tower are just fine, actually the best signal, the only ones hitting 90 and higher on the meter. So, I haven't tried repositioning the antenna, it's been good for quite some time.

I had an HR10-250 that did just fine with this setup, and for the last year I've been using an EyeTV One on my computer. Same antenna, same wires, same position. EyeTV claims 90% signal strength, whatever that means, and I have no problems on any channel with it.

I tried swapping the cables between the EyeTV and the Tivo and that didn't change anything. Good RG6, with one splitter that hasn't given any problems before.

Could this be some odd problem with my unit for just one frequency?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Try an amplifier to see if that helps. In my location without a pre-amp I can't pick up alot but the addition of a pre-amo makes a big difference for many of the local stations.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Go here and enter your address and antenna info.
    http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

See where your trouble station falls on the chart.
    Clicking on "view street level map" will show you the direction of the tower(s) in relation to your location.

It's possible you may need to adjust your antenna, or upgrade to a better one.

4. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Well, that's just it. I've never needed one before in almost a decade with this setup. I'm 9-11 miles from the towers and use a small-mid sized antenna. A UHF channel from the same tower gets 97 average on the meter, I'm not sure that amping it is the first solution to try.

Everything I read says the Premier's tuner should be an improvement on the HR10, but not for this one channel for me. It's weird.

Oh, missed a post. I've used antennaweb for years. That's how I know the details I put in my first post. I actually know exactly where the towers are, drive by them fairly often.

5. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    I'm OTA too with a Premiere and find it pulls channels in well so your experience sounds atypical. I'd try a pre amp though. I added one shortly after I got my premiere and I was able to add about 10 more channels than I got before the premier or before the pre amp.

I got something like this. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ply-(CM7777)&c=Pre-Amplifiers&sku=02057207774

T

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'm ≈26 miles from the Shoreview towers and I have the same issue, but unlike a lot of people I don't give a damn about HD so I have no problem using channel 9-2 instead of 9-1.
    I use a $30 slightly amplified flat antenna that's about the size of a magazine and I've tried it in many positions and and places and the only way I can get 9-1 is to give up other channels. I can also get 9-1 just fine if I use the antenna w/o it's amplifier, but then again I lose most other channels. I can't win. I use 9-2 which comes in w/o any problems. I also have a problem receiving 29-2 which is the SD version of 29-1 so there's no loss with that one.

I would think that being as close as you are, a minor repositioning of the antenna should do the trick.

My Tivo HD (no subscribtion) has no problem with channel 9-1 and my Channel Master OTA converter box also had no issues with 9-1.

7. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    9-1 and 29-2 are both on frequency 9. 29-1 and 9-2 are both on freq 29. Guess they are still buddies even after all the private vs network ownership mess. But that explains your findings, and I see the same thing right now. But it still doesn't explain why my EyeTV tuner works perfectly.

Sure wish Marty's website still existed.

I'll have to start some drastic troubleshooting.

8. rsisters

rsisters New Member

May 21, 2005
    Don't give up! Thanks to the generous help of the TivoCommunity - we made the switch to OTA. The recommendations of antenna brands and informational directional links to set the antenna up were spot on.

The TC rocks!

9. Spiky

Spiky Macman

May 30, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Well, I think I found a decent spot. The antenna seemed to be tipping one direction just a bit, so I straightened it vertically and maybe a slight horizontal twist. It bumped Tivo's channel 9 to the low 80s, and didn't affect the EyeTV signal strength for 9 at all. I do have one other channel a bit lower than before, but still ok.

Just weird.