OTA Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Titon, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Titon

Titon New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Braham,...
    Hello.

I am in the process of splitting my OTA signal from my outside antenna to 2 seperate HR10-250's. I'm sure you've heard this but i'm tired of searching so here it goes. When splitting the OTA signal do i need one diplexor or 2? Right now i have one diplexor at the first HR10-250 but not at the other and i'm only recieving 3 channel's at the other box. The first box i'm recieving 8 channel's. Should i be purchasing another diplexor for the box recieving only 3 channel's?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    A diplexer is used to split off OTA from a satellite cable. We need a bit more info. What dish (I assume the triple LNB)? Do you have a separate multiswitch? If so, is it one where you can combine the OTA? In this case, all outputs from the extra switch will have the OTA combined. Then you need to use a diplexer at each location to separate the OTA.

You may need to use a preamplifier on the OTA antenna. If possible, I'd run a separate cable from the antenna to each HR10 (using a regular splitter).

3. Titon

Titon New Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Braham,...
    Thanks for the response Jim.

I picked up a preamp for the antenna this morning and i'm going to add that into the system later today.

Once i hook up the preamp i should be able to run a single cable into the house and then just split that off? I'm simply splitting off the OTA signal. One cable into the house then splitting it off to go to each reciever.

The question at hand is if i can just bring in one cable and split it off with a simple splitter.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That should work just fine. A regular splitter is all that is needed since you aren't getting into the higher frequencies used by Satellite. Just make sure it has the frequency range to cover the UHF frequencies.