1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA quality is way worse on Roamio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by hepcat511, Aug 19, 2017.

1. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I have been tearing my hair out trying to find an antenna that will work with the Roamio. Finally, I've just given up and attached the antenna I have directly to my LG TV and just like that all of the picture quality problems I had been experiencing with the Roamio are gone!

The only thing I can determine is that the Roamio tuners suck compared to the LG tuner. The devices are mere inches from each other, so it can't be positioning.

Unfortunately, it means I can't DVR or pause any OTA TV, which is the entire reason I have the Roamio. Has anyone solved this problem?

cldlhd likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I installed 2 Leaf antennas on to a Roamio OTA, through a splitter (combiner), last week and haven't heard of any problems since...

-KP

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    This unfortunately is not an uncommon complaint with either the Roamio or Bolt, i.e., a strait connection to TV looks great, not so through Tivo. Some of it may be due to splitting the signal to each tuner but many folks have used amps/preamps on their antenna and upgraded their antennas to get an acceptable signal.

EnigmaRain likes this.
  4. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I think it's going to make me go a different way. I'm looking at the HDHomeRun now as my cord cutting option.

5. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    You just need a better antenna setup! My Roamio works perfectly with an OTA antenna, but I NEED and have an outdoor antenna system setup.

Why spend money for an Hdhomerun, when you are already 95% there with the Roamio? Get a better antenna, and do it right. Don't just get one of those silly "mud flap" type antennas either.

6. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Well, I do have a Mohu Leaf antenna and it works great with the TV's tuner, like I mentioned. Installing a rooftop antenna and running the cable is non-trivial for me as my TV doesn't sit along an outside wall so getting the coaxial cable to the TV is a significant effort.

7. MikeBear

MikeBear Letting my mind wander, luring it back with candy.

May 21, 2015
    Mid-Michigan
    Single tv tuners are usually very good/very sensitive, but the Tivo has to split the signal 4 ways internally. It needs a little bit better signal levels than your tv set.

Try going to TV Fool (<< that's a hyperlink, click on it) and run a report on your address, then post the link to your report here. It'll mask your address, so don't worry people will show up at your house. Once we know what you are dealing with, we can recommend antennas. Mcmelectronics.com carries so very good antennas that are priced reasonably cheaply, but are built extremely well, and worth the trouble to install.

You just can't expect every different electronic device to work exactly the same, even with the same antenna, etc.

PCurry57 and EnigmaRain like this.
  8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Have you tried aligning according to directions from antennaweb.org ?

When I put the 2 (leaf) antennas on the 1 splitter, I hung 1 up (in the attic) so I had a good picture on a quite a few channels and used a compass to hang the second as close as I could get to where antennaweb said and locked in every channel. Signal Strength was around 65-70 but never a bit of pixelation while recording from all 4 tuners.

-KP

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My HDHomeRun OTA tuners are not very good, they are as bad or maybe worse than the ones in my Premiere, both my Bolt and Roamio are noticeably better.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have more than a few Roamio OTAs in different cities and markets with various antennas. All are pretty much on par with the TVs they're connected to and with the other tuners I've had in the past (Homerun, Ceton, Hauppauge, DirecTV OTA add-on tuner, Dish OTA add-on tuner, etc.). Sounds like you have some kind of cabling issue.

11. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Does "reverse splitting" just allow you to have multidirectional antennas or does it also amplify the signal?

I have done the antennaweb thing, and even for channels that I'm less than 30 degrees off of, I still get super annoying pixelation.

12. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Ugh, that's not good news. I already ordered it. I'll give it a try and see if I have to return it or not.

13. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    mcmelectronics doesn't resolve. Is that the right URL? Here's the relevant info from TV Fool:

upload_2017-8-19_16-10-25.png

Attached Files:

14. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    'Less than 30 degrees'? Is that supposed to be a reference amount? Yikes! I'd try to be closer than that.

Most splitters are bi-directional. They don't amplify.

-KP

15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    ClearToLand likes this.
  16. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I'm talking about off axis. The Mohu is facing North and most of the channels are < 30 degress NW (roughly) according to the antennaweb line.

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    So why don't you point the antenna right at the tower(s)?

-KP

18. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    One issue is your PBS and CW are on VHF, but at least their towers are in the same direction as your other UHF channels. You need an antenna that does a good job with both UHF and VHF and aim it directly at 330 degrees. This antenna is popular for picking up both and has many good reviews:
    Amazon.com: RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna with 70 Mile Range: Home Audio & Theater

Being under 7 miles from most your stations this antenna should work even if you don't mount it outside. If there's an attic or storage room with minimal building material between the antenna and 330 it should still work well.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well my HDHomeRun tuners are a few years old at this point maybe the newer ones are better. As others have said I would try to get a better antenna mount it outside if you can or at least in an attic.

Good Luck

20. hepcat511

hepcat511 New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Because the wall it's mounted on doesn't point right at the towers.