OTA puzzlement

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Old Moe, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Old Moe

Old Moe New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    My OTA reception on my HR10-250 is sometimes interrupted during thunderstorms.
    A second TV that is hooked directly to the antenna is not affected. The antenna is located in the attic and therefore is sheltered from the storm. How can this be? It would seem that since the signal is coming from OTA and not the satellite that the
    HR10 signal wouldn't be compromised either.

2. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    You're lucky to have it in the attic protected. I'm not OTA expert, but did pay someone over 400 in labor walk across my roof a few inches at a time for a few hours until i got the perfect signal in so i feel qualified to take a stab at this. (plus over 30 hours on the ground and attic myself trying to find the perfect spot!)

How are you splitting the signal and how long is the run from the antenna to HDTivo? I have total 125 ft and just a home depot leviton amp is pretty good for me. I would say water issue but you have everything protected inside from your description.

What are your strengths and distances from the towers? at 40 miles out in a difficult terrain situation, i get mid 60s on the weakest up to near 90 on the best. I found even a solid 65 is a perfect picture (if you can attain that.)

I'm sure you know by now you cannot compare tv signal strength to tivo, totally different.

I guess there is a possibility the signal is on the verge of a low reading and the storm may cause multipath somehow but that's beyond me so someone else would have to comment on that possibility

So off the top of my head i'd say it's wiring or splitter or bad cable perhaps?

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    One word: Multipath.

This is the equivalent of ghosting in the analog world. Ever see the analog picture quiver/ghost during a storm? Same thing, except the digital tuner can't lock on.

4. Old Moe

Old Moe New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    The multipath theory may be the explanation. My "antenna in" signal test is showing 95%. The unit in question is a Westinghouse monitor without a tuner that depends on the HR10 for tuning whereas the TV that is hooked directly to the antenna naturally has an integrated tuner. This might also be a factor. Both units are digital.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Just as in analog, not all digital tuners are created equal. My non-DVR HTL-HD receiver does a better job of locking onto a station signal than my HR10.