OTA Premiere as a Tivo Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JerryAC, Oct 30, 2015.

1. JerryAC

JerryAC Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Harrison, AR

Advertisements

I have a Premiere with Lifetime and a Roamio OTA.

I want to use the Premiere in a room without an antenna lead. If I have the Premiere hardwired to my home network, can I use the Premiere to stream recorded programming from the Roamio?

Thanks

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I don't know, but I had a Tivo Roamio Plus and a TiVo Series 3 and couldn't stream between them.

Also, I'm not sure it matters to you, but the reason why I bought a TiVo Mini, beyond the fact that I couldn't use my TiVo Series 3 as a streaming device as if it were a Mini, is because the older unit doesn't support MPEG-4 encoded video, which my service provider has started using for cable channels. If that's any part of your future, you may want to keep it in mind.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Recordings yes. Live TV no. Also, unlike the Mini, the Premiere will not be paired directly to the Roamio. So you'll have to pick the Roamio from the "devices" menu every time and most of the management functions wont work.

If you don't need the Premiere's full functionality you're probably better off selling it and using the profits to buy a Mini. The experience will be better and you'll use a lot less power.

4. HD_Dude

HD_Dude I Want HD in my Car

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yes, it will work, for recordings, as Dan203 said.

Just to verify, right now I'm streaming a Shark Week show from my S3, which is not connected to cable, just the internet, and my Roamio Pro, which is connected to digital cable and internet.

Technically, you 'transfer' the recording. But, you can watch it instantly. Pause, rewind, etc.

Bicker - if you have a Roamio and an S3 it should work. I had trouble setting up the network handshake, but eventually got it.

5. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

You're actually streaming, i.e., watching the recording on the destination TiVo while it is still transferring from the source TiVo?

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If that's a question, you can watch without doing a transfer. Or you can start the transfer and start watching locally. I only mention this because I can watch while a recording is streaming, but if I attempt to watch without the transfer my Roamio restarts. So I don't do that. :)

7. HD_Dude

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yes. I select the show, and as soon as it starts transferring, I get the 'play' option.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you can watch a show with a Series 3 from a Roamio depends on if your cable company has put any restrictions (flags) on it. Technically the Series 3 is copying not streaming the show, if copying is allowed you can start to watch it before it is completely copied so it can appear the same as streaming but it is not the same in the eyes of content providers.

9. HD_Dude

Sep 11, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Excellent points.

10. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Hmmm... I'm not sure I ever tried it. Interesting.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes Premiere and newer units all support multi-room streaming. No need to transfer the show at all, it just plays as a stream across the network. That's how Minis work as well.

12. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Okay, so there is a difference between Premieres and Series 3, in this regard. (Good! I'm not going crazy! :))

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. S3 only supported the transfer method. Premiere and newer units support both streaming and transfer. If you pick a recording from My Shows and just click Play it will stream. You have to specifically go into the show's description and select a special menu item to transfer.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere and newer Tivo can stream to each other, but older models like Series 2/3 can only transfer/copy.

15. miadlor

miadlor Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Rhode Island
    This is what I do.

Roamio with hd antenna only.
    Premiere on digital cable.

Assuming I know what's on at the time (live TV).

On the Roamio I go to the shows of the Premiere and then hit guide.
    I then hit enter to search. You should now being searching for shows on the Premiere.
    When I find the show I want....record it.
    Then you can go back on the Roamio and into shows of the Premeire and watch that digital cable show.

16. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If that Premiere is a 2 tuner model, not the Premiere 4 (4 tuner), then you can have OTA connected along with cable.