OTA Live tv Tuner Options

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by bradleys, Sep 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

I have been gifted an HDHOMERUN and I was going to use it to setup live tv channels - maybe also try out the DVR on Plex.

But it looks like AirTV 2 is the tuner you would want in order to have the live channels show up on the consolidated grid (with sling) bit other then that it seems limited.

That got me wondering if anyone else has installed an OTA tuner on their network and how it is working for you?

2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    I use the quatro with Channels DVR. Works great on the TS4k as it can utilize the dvr/guide buttons on the peanut. It also works with android's built in Live Channels. Didn't check if Stream supported it. Have the crappy Locast on there now.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

blackngold75 and bradleys like this.
  3. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Meh, I still have a legacy Slingbox PRO HD that has a built-in aTSC tuner. Also, a TiVo Roamio Mini connected to a Slingbox 500.

I still may subscribe to Locast.org, too.

4. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Too bad TiVo and Sling are not integrating HD HomeRun tuners into the Stream 4K, but unlike AirTV there's no business agreement that would bring in recurring revenue for them so that's not surprising.

I use HD HomeRun tuners with Channels DVR for recording and live TV. Your Stream 4K can host a Channels client and the Channels DVR software. I'm not using a Stream 4K but many are removing all the TiVo stuff and using Button Remapper on the remote for a dedicated Channels solution.

Sometimes I also use the HD HomeRun app for live TV. Other people use Plex or Kodi for DVR and live TV. We love Channels DVR, and are almost completely transitioned off TiVo at this point.

5. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly

Advertisements

Locast is crap. Quality stinks. Bugs you to donate. Great if you actually need Locast to get broadcast channels, but otherwise it's easier to do an antenna and hdhomerun.

bradleys likes this.
  6. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, I tried Locast and it was worse that crap... unwatchable - luckily, It was so bad I never made it to a donation nag! Lol

7. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I setup the tuner trying both the native HDHomerum app and the LiveTV app and I really do not like either, navigation is annoying.

I also setup the Plex Live TV DVR and it is a MUCH BETTER implementation. As I said, it is a little annoying that they are all buried in the apps - but I think I have a solution.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020 at 8:47 PM
  8. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Why not give Channels DVR a try? They have a free trial.

blackngold75 and bradleys like this.
  9. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I swear to god, I have tried every option for live tv and my HDHomeRun tuners - and nothing even holds a candle to Plex.

The HDHomeRun app is absolutely terrible and the LiveTV app isn’t much better. The lifting power of the server running in the background is pretty obvious.

I don’t expect i will watch much off of OTA - but damn, it would be nice if all my content could be ported through that interface.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 3:01 AM
  10. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    ^^^
    Agreed. The Channels trial is free for a month, so nothing to lose except some time. I don't have a Plex Pass so I can't comment on that DVR solution, but I have been using ChannelsDVR with my HDHomeRun for the past several days. It's a very good experience, and the ChannelsDVR team is still developing the product and adding new and useful features - for example, I've seen a Channels "button remapper for TS4K" discussed in their current Beta on their forums. Yeah, I wish the HDHomeRun or Channels integrated into the TiVo app, but I doubt that will happen so my solution to that is just to disable the TiVo app and re-map the buttons. Easy! My family has quickly taken to this setup. So much so, that my TiVo DVR hardware is going up for auction by the weekend.

11. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Channels might get stream love at some point, just not yet according to the tivo dev I was chatting with. And the Channels dev's are very active in updating, fixing and adding features. And still the only solution to integrate TV Everywhere into the channel lineup. Of course if you use sling you have integration with their product, but their product only, so you are tired into them.

Will never buy a product again that ties me into a singular company. And with software solutions becoming more of a thing, an hdhomerun just makes sense these days, plus they have an atsc 3.0 solution ready, and Channels can handle that already.

I have no need for a plex pass, and I'm not paying multiple companies to pretty much do the same thing. I have more faith in channels being flexible for future use than I do Plex for future use since Channels is singularly focused on being your one stop shop for OTA based linear TV.

12. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    Sorry I went further off the original topic in Channels. As far as the question on network OTA tuners, I've never owned hardware that was as easy to setup and use as an HDHomeRun: Attach the antenna, plug in the network cable and plug in the device. It just works. In addition to using with my TS4Ks, I now have quick access to anything OTA from my tablet, phone, PC, whatever.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:40 AM
  13. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Yep. Most apps will find the homerun on your network and access it. Non proprietary for the win. Don't think tablo and sling offer that.

14. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I reviewed Plex in the TiVo Alternatives thread last year. To summarize, my impression of Plex was that it has a very pretty design but tries to do too many things, and ends up doing none of them well. I find Channels to be much more focused on doing DVR well, and I very much appreciate that. The devs are very responsive and I feel listened to ...as opposed to constantly marketed to by Plex.

15. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I haven’t tried Channels yet, but I already have a lifetime Plex pass so it is a sunk cost for me. Something would have to blow me away to get me to consider paying even a minor subscription fee for functionality that I have already pay for - and I doubt channels is doing anything that mind blowing...

Frankly - while I do really like the Plex implementation, it annoys me that those channels are in Plex and the rest of my live tv content is over in Sling.

Since I got the HDHomeRun Quad tuner for free - I might go ahead and buy an AirTV 2 just for browsing and light consumption.

16. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    If you do, we're looking forward to your report!

bradleys likes this.
  17. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    Well there is no charge to try Channels DVR. It has a free trial. If you have a NAS or computer you can leave on, give it a go. And you can use your sling credentials to login to TV Everywhere and add it to your Channels lineup. It will be completely integrated, at least for all the channels that support TVE.

I would do that before buying something. Though encouraging people to be Guinea pigs is always allowed.

18. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

Sure it is free for a month and then costs $8 a month after. I like the Plex implementation that I get for free, so there is no reason for me to “try Channels”. There is nothing Channels offers that I want fixed - even if it were a slightly better implementation, it would make no sense for me to pay $8 a month when I have an implementation I like for free.

Now, what i don’t like is that I am mostly in my Sling guide and I have to go to Another App to consume these channels.

Thus, if I can find a used AirTV 2 tuner on eBay, it would be worth the investment to play with that integration - because it DOES address an issue that annoys me. That way I can run both the HDHomerun Quattro / Plex for a good DVR and the AirTV / Sling integration for casual Viewing.

We will see, I have a bid on a unit.

19. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Active Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Philly
    You said you didn't "try" it yet. I didn't say anything about buying it, did I? You're the one that said everything paled to the great and wonderful plex, so.... You didn't qualify before, but appreciate the attitude nonetheless.

And it's cheaper if you pay for a year.

20. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

Nothing is cheaper than free... I paid for my Plex pass, shoot, seems like a decade ago.

I watched a few YouTube videos, Channels seems okay, but they are similar implementations, nothing compelling enough to warrant my time or interest. Both present a well organized grid and have features to help discover and consume content. They both do the same thing in similar ways, one I already have the other I would have to pay for.

it could be the best thing since sliced bread, I still wouldn’t be much interested.

I started this by saying the HDHOMERUN and the LiveTV apps were crap, difficult to navigate and lacking any real features. I then said Plex (and I am sure Channels) was a much better and far more feature rich implementation. Boxed checked...

the second issue i have is all my other streaming live tv content is in the TS4K grid and it is annoying that they are not consolidated. Since Sling/TS4K does not directly support the HDHomerun tuners - I am thinking about purchasing an additional Air TV tuner.

Did you notice how none of my concerns or needs had anything to do with Channels and their $8 a month service fee?