OTA Lifetime Service transfer?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Cicero99, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Cicero99

Cicero99 New Member

Oct 16, 2018
    I purchased a used Roamio OTA 1GB that was previously activated. It shows as having the Tivo Service Level of C:111318. Works great, but I wanted to connect the DVR box to my Tivo iOS app. I called tech support for assistance, and was told that it could not be done as the DVR box was linked to another user, and that user would be required to contact Tivo and put an authorization on his/her account to transfer the box to a new owner. While I understand the necessity in restricting such transfers in the event of a resale of a stolen device with a subscription tied to it, this isn't the case with the OTA model which is sold with a lifetime sub tied to the box. What is my recourse? I've already contacted the seller on ebay asking they put in the authorization or pass along the request to the previous owner, but its likely I see pigs fly before that happens.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd call TiVo back and 'avoid' details that prevent the transfer from happening...

Only provide details that 'allow' a transfer to occur.

You might get lucky...

-KP

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Have you tried to add it to your account at tivo.com? That used to work as long as a previously-owned TiVo had been through Guided Setup with a different zip code.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If this was a recent Ebay purchase, you can get your money back from the seller, just start a return for "not as described".

aaronwt and krkaufman like this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed that It’s not the same, as a Lifetime/All-In box has much more value, and so TiVo should be more reluctant to transfer such a box without express authorization by the previous owner.

Continuing attempts with TiVo Support to see if you can achieve different results (maybe with proof of purchase details), or filing a purchase protection claim with eBay, since you effectively haven’t received a Lifetime unit.