OTA install Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cutty, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007

Advertisements

I installed my OTA yesterday. OTA channels came in great through my 10-250. Everything showed up in channel guide as well.

However, my regular network channels, both local and distant, began working erratically. They will work one minute and not the next. Or, some would work, and not others. No ryme or reason.

I repeated install to no avail. Had to eventually cut the power to the unit and re-boot to get the network channels back, and everything works fine (pre OTA install). But, now I'm back to square one without OTA.

Why can't I get OTA AND my networks?? What gives? :mad:

Thanks.

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    The reason for intermittent OTA reception is typically due to multipath issues (can't comment on the "ryme"). You need either a more-directional antenna, better placement and aiming, or a better tuner (the one advantage the HR20 has other than M4) or maybe all 3. Either that or move to a better location, or abandon OTA for M4 locals, if available. A search of this forum might yield beaucoup clues.

3. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Thanks for the response. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The OTA works fine.....BUT, the networks via DTV are intermittent....They work sometimes and not others....Or some network channels (on DTV) will work, while others just have a blank screen....Seems to be random.

When I programed the OTA, somehow or another, it's causing the regular networks,both local and distant, to act up. When I disconnected my OTA, cut the power to the 250, and re-booted, all the network channels came back (consistently).

Any help out there? Thanks!

4. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Are you using a diplexer on a satellite line of is the antenna connected directly to the receiver?

-Robert

5. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007

Advertisements

The OTA is connected directly to the 10-250 via coax in the back.

From what I can tell, it only effects the networks...My local (on DTV) and 380, 381, 382 & etc. (I'm grandfathered in with the distant networks via waivers). I get the info banner, but a black screen and no audio. The rest of my channels work fine. The weird thing is that it comes and goes randomly....a couple of network channels will work fine, but when I change the channel, they're blank when I come back. They never fade in and out while it's on the particular channel. Some networks will work and others won't when I randomly scroll around. Once I disconnect the OTA and cut power and re-booted, everything came back fine. I'm afraid to try the OTA again without some help.

Where my DTV comes in to the house (from the dish), there are all kinds of splitters & power boosters to send cables to 4 different rooms. Quite frankly, the installer left a spiders web.

Thanks.

6. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Go to the test channels at 490-494. Do they all come in? If not, then you have a wiring issue.

If yes, then put tuner 1 on 490. Swap tuners and go to 491. Check both tuners. Change from 491 to 492. Check both tuners. Repeat until tuner 2 is on 494. This is checking to see if the tuners are interfering with each other. If they are, you will lose signal on one tuner during this process.

Finally, since these are intermitant outages and the tests above are OK, then you may have a connector or cable going bad. Check each F connector and replace if it is corrorded or there are stray shielding wires touching the center conductor.

-Robert

7. Cutty

Cutty New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    I only have one cable feeding the 10-250. Also, I have a second 10-250 downstairs.....The OTA issue happened on BOTH 10-250s. Only one cable feeds every DTV box in my home...Install was too complicated to run two to each box.

This may sound wacky, but it's almost as if the 10-250 drops the networks (via DTV) because I'm now receiving them via OTA. Could that be it?

8. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    No. I have OTA digital channels, local SD channels via satellite and Fox HD via satellite. I have no problems at all with any of them dropping out.

Even though you only have 1 cable per HR10, do the exact same test. Except instead of tuners, use each Tivo. Have someone watch the picture on one Tivo while you go through the test channels on the other Tivo. They still may be conflicting with each other.

-Robert

9. milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Cutty,

Can we do a little trouble-shooting?

I am wondering if you do not have a diplexer issue. Can you temporarily run a separate OTA cable to one of your HR10's and remove the diplexers?

Diplexers rob you of a lot of your signal. What brand are you using?

We did a lot of research on this and found a huge range of results on Diplexers. Some of the most expensive were the worst. One was head and shoulders above all of the others:

Choosing the Right Diplexer

- Craig

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Cutty, are you sure the HR10 knows it only has one cable into it? There is a bug that sort of activates the second tuner when doing a recording sometimes. If you can push the down arrow and the tuner switches, then the HR10 thinks it has two tuners active (although when trying to record on two satellite stations, it will tell you it cannot).

I do not recommend one wire to an HR10 as it has a bug that does not work well with a single line in.

Here is the thread I reported this in:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359336