OTA in San Jose, CA??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by grooves12, Jan 26, 2006.

1. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

Sep 25, 2001
    San Jose,...
    Anyone live in San Jose and getting the locals (HD) via OTA with an HR10-250?? I am trying to get it up and running and wondering what kind of antenna I would need... any advice?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Check out the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com
    There's an index thread at the top of that forum. Look for "San Jose" or "San Francisco" to link the thread specific to your location. You can then read about what antennas are working well for folks near you and post your questions.

Also, check out http://www.antennaweb.org.

3. SoJo

SoJo New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    Gilroy, CA
    You should be able to pick up all the locals in HD in San Jose.

Like litzdog says, check out the two web sites above and you'll be able to find some good feedback on San Jose.

4. elbodude

elbodude New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Santa Clara, CA

I am in Santa Clara and get all my locals (except NBC) with a little indoor Radio Shack antenna. The Silver Sensor works as well.

5. mikezoom

mikezoom New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    San Jose
    I live in San Jose and get all the major networks in HD as well as UPN, the WB, PBS, and others. I have a Terk TV35 antenna mounted on the roof hooked up to the HR10.

6. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    Just curious, are you saying you get all the HD locals with your setup?

Just asking, since this is way different from anything I've ever read about what is needed in the South Bay (which is 30+ miles from Sutro and whatever tower NBC moved to a few months back) to reliably get the HD channels. The Channel Master 4228 seems to be the antenna of choice down here, and that's a far cry from what you say you're using.

Again, just what I've read...

7. brentley

brentley New Member

Nov 19, 1999
    San Jose,...
    Depends on where the antenna really is.

When I was allowed to run wires inside of my house I could get all the locals from sutro with a silver sensor in my upstairs bedroom pointed properly at sutro on a HD-Tivo.

My permenant antenna is outdoors a bit lower and has problems once in a while.

I am in north san jose close to Alviso.

8. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I live in Campbell near San Tomas expy. and Campbell Ave. I get all the locals except NBC via a silver sensor that is sitting on the shoulder of my chimney. I am 42.1 miles from the Mt. Sutro tower according to antennaweb. I would say if you are looking for a long term solution the Channel Master is probably a better bet and you would probably be able to get NBC as well.

9. Sanjoseguy

Sanjoseguy New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I thought I'd go ahead and chime in too. I get all major networks except for NBC, which got moved (grrr). I live in the Campbell/Los Gatos area near San Tomas.

Luckily, when I got my HD Tivo, I was given the L.A. NBC and CBS HD feeds. So, when I lost the ota NBC, I just redirected my season passes and things are fine.

I hope they give you NBC too! Otherwise, you might need an extra aerial facing towards the other tower for ota NBC.

Good luck! I LOVE my ota reception!!

Sanjoseguy

10. miss_my_utv

miss_my_utv New Member

Sep 29, 2005
    I thought the NBC transmitter moved late last year to a tower only a few degrees from Sutro (and about the same distance), so it's no longer the opposite direction of all the others (from antennaweb.com):

KNTV-DT 11.1 NBC SAN JOSE CA 302° 28.4 12
    KPIX-DT 5.1 CBS SAN FRANCISCO CA 307° 32.7 29
    KGO-DT 7.1 ABC SAN FRANCISCO CA 307° 32.7 24
    KTVU-DT 2.1 FOX OAKLAND CA 307° 32.7 56

Didn't that make a difference (or is that when you "lost" it)?

11. Albertsanchez

Albertsanchez Registered Noob

Oct 4, 2005
    San Jose, CA
  12. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I used to get KNTV until they moved it. I don't know why I can't get it since you are correct it is in roughly the same direction and about the same distance from San Jose.

13. elbodude

elbodude New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Santa Clara, CA

Yep all except NBC which moved their antenna. Sometimes I have to rotate the antenna to ge the signal, but the antenna has a remote for that.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...2057&kw=vhf&kwCatId=2032057&parentPage=search

14. grooves12

grooves12 New Member

Sep 25, 2001
    San Jose,...
    I think part of the problem for all of you unable to get NBC is that it is broadcast in VHF... and the silver sensor and many other antennas are UHF only.

For the guy using the small Radio Shack antenna... which one do you have?? I tried one and got absolutely NOTHING with it. I have heard good things about the silver sensor, I will have to try and find one.

15. Darknight

Darknight New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    That's not true. I live in South San Jose out by Tully and Capital Ave near Eastridge, over 40 miles from Sutro, and I get all local networks in HD including KNTV NBC through my Silver Sensor indoor antenna. I placed it upstairs and it took some adjusting to get it to work with everything but once I did, everything was great. You might need to do just a slight adjustment on the aiming of your antenna. If I just move it like half an inch, I could lose good reception, but where it's at now it's all strong signals.

16. elbodude

elbodude New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Santa Clara, CA

Corrected link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...2057&kw=vhf&kwCatId=2032057&parentPage=search

17. mikezoom

mikezoom New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    San Jose
    After reading the other posts, I must be lucky using the TV35 miss_my_utv. I've been getting all the Bay Area HD locals since I hooked up my first HD reciever a year ago. This includes NBC, which was breaking up for a while during bad weather in December but lookin good now. I originally bought the TV35 around 3 or 4 years ago when I was having problems with UPN reception on cable. At the time it was being touted as a good HDTV antenna and it's worked for me. :) BTW, I live in southwest San Jose and I know I'm skimming some hills to see Sutro tower!

18. Sanjoseguy

Sanjoseguy New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I made an assumption that since I lost the signal altogether, it must have been moved a significant degree. Now I am really baffled.

All I know is that I was getting 48-2 beautifully and then one day...nothing. Ah well.

SJ

19. mikezoom

mikezoom New Member

Aug 15, 2005
    San Jose
    Try 11-1 now. I believe that replaced channel 48-2.

20. jdk

jdk New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    48.2 was a simulcast from Telemundo of the KNTV DTV broadcast (Both Telemundo and KNTV are owned by NBC). It was sent from Mt Allison in the East Bay.

When KNTV fired up their new transmitter in San Bruno, they shut down the simulcast from Mt Allison. KNTV-DT is now only available on Channel 12 (remapped to 11.1).