OTA - huge spike in ISP data usage

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by timfield, Jun 23, 2016.

1. timfield

timfield New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Set up Roamio OTA and two Minis at start of this month. Checked my ISP (Comcast) Data Usage and find I have consumed 300gb in 20 days - compared to average of 3gb per month before Roamio.

We are connected to Netflix, Amazon and Youtube but not watching more than total of 3 hrs per day for all 3 TVs.

Is this jump in data usage the norm for Roamio? Any settings or other ways to reduce this so I don't have problems with ISP/Comcast?

2. jth tv

jth tv Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I think I use 1.2 GBytes per Hour watching Netflix with 3 Mbits per second internet. It adds up quick.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Does Comcast break down your usage by up/down and time of day? That might help identify what's cause the usage.

I'm single, don't stream anything but Pandora and my normal use is 30GB/month. My cap is 600GB. Note that speed is usually in Mbps, use is in GB. "B" = bytes, "b" = bits.

4. timfield

timfield New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    Okay - thanks for both comments... helpful! Comcast only shows running total from start of the month (and is in GBytes).

I did see someone comment on turning off "Auto-Play" (where a series episode ends and next one auto starts) in both Netflix and Amazon Prime - so I have done that... will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

I'm thinking of doing daily tracking for a bit, then testing turning off Netflix, Amazon, Youtube one at a time to see if I can narrow down a particular culprit.

5. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    If you are streaming in 1080p you can easily average 4GB/per hour, even on Netflix (whose compression is very efficient). 3 hours a day for 20 days at 4GB/hour is 240GB...pretty close to your 300GB. So, it seems reasonable.

6. timfield

timfield New Member

Jun 20, 2016
    A little math is just the ticket!! That helps me just to know that what I am seeing is certainly in the ballpark of reality. Thanks!

7. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I am glad I don't have any bandwidth caps. I easily exceed 500GB per month based on this math.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah streaming adds up. Even 3-4 hours a day could easily put you at 15GB a day.