OTA HD and Tivo Guide

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Abys, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Abys

Abys New Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Forgive me for making a whole thread to get some clarification for myself. I've seen references to QAM channels in a couple threads and I think I have a limited handle on that, but I have another question that will no doubt show my ignorance. I'm wanting to upgrade to either Tivo HD or the S3 box. However, I'm just using my regular coaxial cable connection to get my cable service from TW. My question is, will I have program information on Tivo for my over the air HD channels? If not, what do I need to do in order to have HD channels show up in the program guide? I know that it's not absolutely necessary to have the program information, I've just gotten used to the convenience and don't wish to part with it if I don't have to. Thanks!

2. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If you're plugging in standard coaxial cable from your wall to your Tivo's cable input, you'll be able to pull in all your normal analog channels, as well as any in the clear QAM channels. You'll get Tivo Guide info for all your analog channels, however, you won't get any guide info for the QAM channels. These QAM channels typically include most of your local HD channels (CBS, NBC, FOX, etc.), as well as the digital non-HD versions of your local broadcast channels.

If you are looking to get the guide info for HD channels, you'll need to either get CableCards, or use an OTA antenna and plug it into the "Antenna" input on the back of your Tivo unit.

And to clarify, QAM HD channels come through via your standard cable coaxial connection via your local Cable Company, whereas OTA HD channels come for free OTA (Over-The-Air) as broadcast by your local Television Stations.

Good luck.

3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    If you hook up an antenna as well as the cable service coax (their is a separate connector on the back for each), guided setup lets to configure explicitly for OTA + analog cable. The HD channels will show up in your channel list (and program guide). It works great.

4. lickwid

lickwid Member

Oct 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It works great if you can get a reliable signal for OTA. Here in the SF Bay Area, nothing short of a large Outdoor Boom Antenna will give you a reliable signal. Way too many tree and buildings out here.

5. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    The integration of OTA and cable guide data works great regardless of actual reception, so technically I didn't need to mention the part about hooking up the antenna.