1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Channel Settings Channel List

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by Kyle Gilbertson, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Kyle Gilbertson

Kyle Gilbertson New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    At least on the TiVo Roamio I'm using, when I go to:
    TiVo Central -> Settings & Messages -> Channel Settings -> Channel List
    The TiVo continues to show the currently active channel selected from the main menu, or basic operation selection menu. Because the point of going into this list is to decide whether or not to continue presenting the checked channels, there should be a method of telling the receiver to switch or show a highlighted channel to help decide whether to continue presenting the channels that are checked. Why? Because currently you have to exit completely out of the menu cascade, change the channel, then go back through the menu cascade. This process is inordinately obtuse. If there is a channel list to be edited, it should be possible to choose one of the channels in that list in order to see whether or not 1) it comes in at all, or 2) whether to keep it on the list without completely exiting out of the menu process to see if you want it before going all the way back through the menu system to make that selection. I somewhat agree that the channel shouldn't necessarily tune to whatever channel is highlighted (per se), but it should be possible to tell the the tuner to display the currently highlighted channel while still in the channel list. By the same token, instead of just a check or no check, there should be a delete function if there is a channel in the list that simply doesn't come in.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You can customize the “My Channels” and “Favorites” channel lists from the Guide. You just have to highlight the channel within the channel #/station ID column and press Select/OK, then choose the action you wish to take for the currently selected channel.

B66728DB-DB43-4F34-8EE5-48241B39961B.jpeg

3. Kyle Gilbertson

Kyle Gilbertson New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Not on my TiVo. Pressing "Select" on the TiVo Roamio I have changes to that channel. Looks like there is a way to filter with the "A" button. I don't know if you have cable or satellite, but I have neither, so I'm referring to the OTA channel list. With the OTA channel list in the configurations, there is a propensity to show channels that aren't actually received. For this reason they do not belong in the OTA channel list, and that's what I'm referring to. When in that particular menu, it should be possible to tune to the channel shown without exiting the menu in order to see whether it actually even comes in.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, I understand that the post-Rovi merger guide data for OTA is crazy full of untunable and duplicate channels, and that the Channel List editor screen would be vastly more useful if it allowed checking the reception for channels ... but you should be able to edit the channel lists from the channel guide, at least on the old (TE3/Encore) UI.

Are you on TE3/Encore or the new (TE4/Hydra) UI? (Does your TiVo UI have a blue or black theme?)

p.s. Oh, and if you're using TE3/Encore, are you displaying the Grid Guide or the Live Guide? (Editing channel lists in TE3 is only available through the Grid Guide, I believe -- as demo'd in my attached pic above.)

p.p.s. Re:
    Did you first havigate to the left to highlight the channel entry in the channel #/station ID column?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    TE3: "At least on the TiVo Roamio I'm using, when I go to:
    TiVo Central -> Settings & Messages -> Channel Settings -> Channel List"

OTA channel list is still full of channels I could never receive even if I could receive any.

TV Fool

Using the guide to edit the channel list work the same with TE4.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Thanks for the replies, Joe (here and elsewhere). And nice catch Re: TE3.

JoeKustra likes this.