OTA channel problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by KC4PE, Dec 18, 2011.

1. KC4PE

KC4PE New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    A brand new Premier TIVO ..... scan's in the local air antenna channels. Channel 38-1 and -2 show up as being scanned ... but show no signal strength.
    My "Digiair" signal strength meter shows both channels at +59-63 DBu .... at the coax connector at the TIVO input....

But when I try to run channel up/down I get a "Ant Error Problem".... when I call them up direct same thing......

Idea's..??

Bill

kc4pe@mindspring.com

2. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It sounds like you just don't have a good enough antenna or it is not aimed well. A signal can be strong, but still noisy. 59-63 is usable, but not really strong. Most channels are in the 64-80 range, with one in the 40's. As you might get, the one in the 40's has breakup issues.

I have a nice Radio Shack UHF in the attic, pointed to Driver, about 20 miles away, which is where all our broadcast antennas are. It is connected with twin line that is then connected to a twin-to-coax adapter, then to the TiVo Premiere.

3. Eamus Catuli

Eamus Catuli Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Toronto ON...
    Tune to the problem channel and go ..

TiVo > Settings & Messages > Account & System info > DVR Diagnostics

9th row shows Signal Strength
    13th row shows SNR

I've found that my weakest channel is fine at Signal Strength about 30 and SNR about 16 dB. I wonder how yours might compare (too weak? or maybe too much noise?) :confused: