1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA channel frequency change now poor signal KIMT

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by reese_30, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Oct 6, 2018 #1 of 19
    reese_30

reese_30 New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Local CBS station (3-1 KIMT) for south east minnesota and north iowa apparently changed frequency in the last week. First 3-1 showed up twice in the channel list as 3-1 KIMTCBS (old) and 3-1 KIMTDT (new). One had the picture/sound while the other had the guide information. Ran guided setup with different zip codes in the coverage area and then again with the correct zip code. After this the 3-1 KIMTCBS is gone and I'm left with 32% signal on 3-1KIMTDT. Never had reception issues with 3-1 KIMT in the past year (always 80% plus). Does TiVo have the correct frequency for the change? Diagnostics show 533. I'm planning to call the station to double check the new frequency Monday. Any other possibilities? 3-1 can be viewed perfectly on another TV without TiVo on the same antenna. TiVO customer service was no help and frustrating. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Oct 6, 2018 #2 of 19
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, I have the same thing on one or 2 of my channels. They did their frequency change and now it is only clear sometimes.

3. Oct 8, 2018 #3 of 19
    reese_30

reese_30 New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Station said they've been unable to switch to a new antenna and frequency due to bad weather. TiVo removed the old channel from the list. Hopefully they can add it back to the list until the station completes their change over.

4. Oct 8, 2018 #4 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  5. jrn

jrn New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    I have called Tivo tech support several times about this issue. It seems to me that they need to update their programming to match the new channel lineup for KIMT 3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4 on Channel 24 vs 42. I can get the channel on KIMTCBS but the program info from Tivo is on KIMTDT. They (Tivo) seem to think I am nuts. How do we get this fixed?!?!

6. reese_30

reese_30 New Member

Oct 6, 2018
  7. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    I'm confused. When I look in the channel list on my TivoHD it shows KIMT on RF24 which is what they are on.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  9. jrn

jrn New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Thanks for the replies! I have submitted a Channel Line Up complaint. We shall see if that yields anything.

10. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    I dont understand why its not showing up for you. It shows up as 24 for me. Now I'm using a Mankato zip code (I live in LeSueur but have to use a Mankato zip so KEYC shows up in the list) but it shows KIMT on 24
    IMG_20181019_104231_307[1].jpg

11. reese_30

reese_30 New Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Like honkey's screenshot shows only KIMTDT should show up on your channel list. If you still have KIMTCBS in your channel list, repeat guided setup. This should solve your problems.

12. jrn

jrn New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Now I am more confused than I was before. To start, I am Rochester so I probably have a different broadcast antenna/transmitter than in Mankato and maybe a different Frequency.
    I have repeated Guided Set-Ups and Channel Scans many times. Sometimes after the Guided Setup, I get no channel 3s at all. After the channel scan, sometimes I get the Freq 24 channels and sometimes the Freq 42 channels and sometimes both. When I get the Freq 42 channels, the stations come in but the Tivo Programming is aligned with the Freq 24 channels (when they are there). (eg KIMTCBS at Freq 42 was where I saw broadcasting, but Tivo had its programming at KIMTDT at Freq 24) Today when I Channel Scan or do Guided Set-Up, no Channel 3 channels are found at all. Today when I do Signal Strength Meter and go to 3.1, it shows KIMTDT and Freq 24 but only a very week signal (peak 34). In the past, I sometimes had both 3.1s and generally the KIMTCBS was the strong one (more like 60 or 70). I am baffled and not sure what the issue is. Any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

13. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    irrelevant. KIMT is 24 in Tivo's set up regardless of what zip you use as long as it shows the station in the database. For some reason Tivo has like every frequency in Southern MN/Western Wisconsin loaded in there for the Mankato zip. It shows all Minneapolis stations, all Rochester/Mason City stations, LaCrosse/EauClaire and Mankato.

I wouldn't do a scan. Try this. Do a repeat guide setup but use a different zip like a neighboring zip code or heck try 56001 to see if that fixes it.
    Its also possible KIMT may be working the bugs out but as of yesterday they can only be on RF24. They shut down RF42.

14. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    So I pulled my old decommissioned Roamio OTA out (the one that only allowed a monthly plan on it...this is when they first came out) just to see. I set it up for 55901 (Rochester) and it only showed one set of listings for KIMT and that is on RF24 (it shows no signal as I'm not close enough to pick it up) ;)

So you might want to try a different zip to maybe clear out the "old" info. Then after it does the guide download redo guide setup with your zip (or 55901)
    IMG_20181019_152329_833[1].jpg

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When you report the lineup, be sure to post the frequency shown in diagnostics.

16. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    I dont know why he would have to report the lineup change when its correct on three different zipcodes I tried including the town that the station broadcasts to (Rochester).

17. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Perhaps TiVo will only fix lineup problems for the requester's zipcode. That's how it used to function.

18. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    Looks like KIMT is still working out the kinks and will have periodic times where they will be off air
    KIMT transitioning to new frequency

We will be finalizing the transition over the next three to four weeks – we will continue the process behind the scenes – which may require us to be off-the-air for periods of time as we install additional new equipment.

19. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    KIMT is working on some things because it went off the air around noon today (per reports at avs) then back on around 2PM then back off 3:15