OTA Antenna with cablecard on Series 4

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Jerry T, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Jerry T

Jerry T New Member

Jun 16, 2010

Advertisements

I own a TiVo that identifies itself as a "Series 4". It is a 2 tuner model that has 2 coax inputs on the rear panel, one for cable and one for antenna. Can I do cable with the cablecard and antenna at the same time? I will ending my cable subscription at some point and will just use the antenna. How? Thanks for your help.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Confirm its a Series 4/Premiere by the back label, it starts with TCD74x, or in System Information, the first 3 numbers of the Tivo Service Number, in the Software version number, it would be the last 3 numbers.

With that confirmed, you can connect both antenna and cable to their coax inputs and you need to re-run Guided Setup and set for both antenna and cable. You would also re-run Guided Setup when you have the cable removed, along with cable card, and set for antenna only.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, the 2-tuner Premieres can simultaneously record from CableCARD and OTA, the last TiVo models released that could do so. Doing so just requires rerunning Guided Setup, I expect, and getting each source configured -- and assuming you've properly connected both sources to the DVR.

Critically... you must not allow the TiVo service on the box to lapse. See: Series 4 Premiere DVRs can no longer be activated

4. Jerry T

Jerry T New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Thank you all for your help. I have lifetime service on the unit so it should be fine. I'm very happy!