OTA antenna and line of sight

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rrr22777, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1 of 13
    rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Jul 31, 2002

Advertisements

Well yesterday's Miami Pittsburgh game on NBC convinced me why everyone says go with OTA. Problem is I am 50 miles away according to antennaweb.org.

I have heard of people saying line of sight is important but then I have also heard of people putting their antenna's in the attic. How can there be line of sight if the thing is in the attic?

2. Sep 8, 2006 #2 of 13
    thebarge

thebarge New Member

May 2, 2005
    I think you just don't get quite as good a signal if it's in the attic. I installed a Channel Master 4228 in the attic and I get an OTA signal of anywhere between 80-95. I'm about 35 miles away from the towers.

3. Sep 8, 2006 #3 of 13
    rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Is a 50 mile range for the Channel Master 4228 unheard of? I would have to put this in the attic since I live in a condo.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #4 of 13
    thebarge

thebarge New Member

May 2, 2005
    I think the max range is around 60 miles, so you should be fine. I'd buy it from a reputable source so you can return it if it doesn't work for you though.

EDIT: Yes, according to the manufacturer, it has a range of 60 miles:

http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm

It's about 3' x 3x and looks like this (except for the mounting pole):

[​IMG]

5. Sep 8, 2006 #5 of 13
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

"Sight" is a literal interpretation of a non-literal concept. RF travels through a lot of things that don't really attenuate or scatter it, including the dry wood walls of an attic (which attenuate it minimally).

Metal and water are two things that it does not travel through without significant attenuation or scatter. That is why leafy trees, mountains, and stucco walls or even metal-film covered insulation in an attic can be a problem.

True line of sight is not absolutely necessary, but it is helpful, and if you have it, your chances of reception are greatly improved.

6. Sep 8, 2006 #6 of 13
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    That is an arbitrary figure based on a lot of variables. I know folks with far-worse antennae who get signals perfectly from 90 miles away, even 90 degrees off axis. And I know folks 10 miles away who are completely obstructed (even Metamucil doesn't help).

www.hdtvprimer.com has the particulars on that and most antennae. For almost every situation, the 4228 can't be beat. If you are trying to get low V or receive from multiple directions, that would be about the only reason to not use the 4228.

7. Sep 8, 2006 #7 of 13
    thumperxr69

thumperxr69 New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Central IL
    Depending on where you are at in SoCal but I believe that the towers are on Mt. Shasta. Look here for Specific SoCal infoSoCal HDTV

Also you might want to look into a preamp. My CM 4221 is in my attic and I receive signals from over 47 miles.

Good luck

T

8. Sep 9, 2006 #8 of 13
    rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Jul 31, 2002

LOL :D :D :D

9. Sep 9, 2006 #9 of 13
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Most So. Cal. transmitters are on Mt. Wilson, in L.A. Co.

10. rrr22777

rrr22777 New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    I looked this up in google maps. Is Mt Wilson near Pasedena? If so then everyone in orange county is atleast 35 miles from the transmitter!

11. axolotl

axolotl New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Valley...
    I'm in Valley Center, CA, about 90 miles from Mt Wilson. I have a Channel Master 4221 witha preamp mounted about 5' off the crest of the roof and receive all LA stations OTA, with varying quality. Some are unreliable (KABC for one, due to relatively low transmitter power), but most come in with solid signals. I'm using a DirecTV HR10-250 as the receiver. We're at about 1250 ft elevation with a view to the northwest towards Mt. Wilson (albeit right through Saddleback Peak in Orange County). I've occasionally received KEYT from Santa Barbara as well.

The elevation of your antenna and the terrain in between you and the transmitters have a big influence on OTA distance. My neighbors down the hill can't receive any OTA - just a small difference in elevation makes a huge difference. Putting your antenna in the attic will further decrease the signal available to your receiver.

- Merle

12. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Yes, Mt. Wilson is north of Pasadena. The N/W end of O.C. is a good 35 mi. away from Mt. Wilson but it is doable if you don't have major obstructions and use a good antenna; even further is possible.

I believe I read that you are in a condo that resrticts OTA antennas. Depending on some conditions, condo associations are generally precluded by the FCC from preventing OTA antennas across the board.

Let me know if you need more info. in this regard. BTW, did you go to antennaweb.org to see what kind of antenna they recommend for you?

13. kepper

kepper Member

Nov 28, 2003
    southern...

I am very near to the beach in southern OC, about 45 miles from Mt. Wilson. I use a Winegard Square Shooter 2000 and get all of the digital channels from Mt. Wilson with no problems. My HR10-250 indicates signal strengths from 80-92 depending on channel. I do get occasional pixellation on Fox 11-1, but it happens rarely (maybe once every couple of weeks) and only lasts for a few seconds.

The SS2000 is mounted on the side of my house between the first and second floor and is not visible from the street or the neighbors.