OTA Antenna $9.99 Deal Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mechanix19, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mechanix19

mechanix19 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I bought the OTA antenna deal from Best Buy for $9.99 a month. I also get free basic cable through my HOA. If I hook up the basic cable to the tivo (there's no cablecard or cable box) would I lose the $9.99 a month deal? I'm guessing I'd have to reset my TiVo to the cable settings instead of antenna. Would this throw up a flag to TiVo?

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I would say yes. If you redo guided setup to allow cable, then TiVo will most assuredly be able to tell. They can see anything you do on your Tivo through the logs.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I don't know if the 'scan channels' feature will set up the Tivo without having to do the guided set up or not. I did a scan channels on a Tivo and it did find the local channels of my area and put them into the TiVo channel lineup that weren't there before when the TiVo was set up for Baltimore instead of Denver.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    It voids the $9.99 agreement according to the written terms, no question. When and how it is enforced, I don't know but I would suspect immediately upon first connection to the TiVo server, the bill will be automatically corrected.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that if TiVo offers a special OTA only rate that someone will ask if it is possible to get the rate if you have both OTA and cable.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say free basic cable, do you mean analog (NTSC) cable? Do you mean just the broadcasters in your area but with the cable company acting as your antenna and maybe throwing in a local government channel and WGN to fill some of the empty 2-13 slots, but all of it digital and not analog?

I suspect that if you hook anything up to the threaded connector on the back that says cable (as opposed to the one that says antenna), you'll lose your OTA only half price sub.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I believe the 9.99 OTA only special rate is voided ONLY if a CableCard is inserted. I believe that is stated in the agreement. Further, others have reported and TiVo has stated publicly that it is the use of a CableCard that will void the special rate. TiVo will know because the box connects to TiVo's servers and most likely reports such info. In the Settings Info there is an entry for CableCards connected or in use.

You can call TiVo to confirm this if you need re-assurance.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I seem to remember looking into whether I could get the deal and tune OTA and only analog cable (which would have exactly what I wanted it for anyway, but not at $20 per month), and finding out that any cable use, even just analog, was a disqualifier.