OTA and HR10-250; no audio

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by brigoody, Aug 18, 2007.

1. brigoody

brigoody New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I just hooked up a channel master 4228 OTA to my HR10-250 so I can receive my local HD channels. I am getting a decent signal and reception; however, I am not receiving any audio (through receiver or tv) on these local hd channels. I do have a digital cable going from my HR10-250 to my audio receiver, plus I do have an HDMI cable. Any help on resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.

Brian

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Since the audio and video are both imbedded in the digital bit stream, it is nearly impossible to receive video without receiving audio. Of course there is the possibility no audio is being sent, but that is an extremely remote possibility, since it spans multiple channels.

What is more likely is that audio is not making it from the HR10 to the receiver, or at least is not being routed to the power amp. That would mean a configuration setting on the receiver, or more likely, on the HR10, which has an option to mute various audio paths. I would look in the audio menu and play around with settings there regarding DD audio first, and then do the same on the receiver.

If you truly get no audio through the receiver and DIRECTLY through a path from HR10 to TV (not clear) that would point to the HR10 settings.

Good luck, report back.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    prob not ur issue but the day i got my HDTV i had no audio except one station. Turned out DD was on. But i was using hdmi

4. brigoody

brigoody New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    I am getting audio from the HR10 to the receiver. I have been for several months since I hooked it up and I still am. My problem is I am not getting audio on my local HD channels through the receiver or tv.

Example: receiving ABC (10) audio/video fine, now since I hooked up my OTA I also have ABC (10.1 and 10.2) neither of these channels are producing audio, but picture is great.

I have looked at the audio settings on the HR10, it set to DDtoPCM and my receiver also is set to digital.

Any other suggestions? Am I missing something in hooking up the antenna? I simply ran RG6 cable straight to the HR10.

Thanks

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Again, very doubtfully a reception issue (meaning the antenna is probably not the issue).

There is one clue here, which is that the channels you are getting audio on, such as the ABC SD "10" you spoke of, are sat channels, while the ones with no audio are not. Ignore that one is sat and one is OTA, and consider the other difference, which is that sat channels such as local into local channels, are sent with normal 2.0 audio, no DD. OTA channels, most of them, are sending AC3 audio, which is a variant of DD, even if it is 2.0. If your Tivo is set to mute DD, then you will not hear audio on OTA channels most of the time, but since that does not apply to the other channels, they are audible.

IOW, the fact that you can get audio on other channels and the fact that the ones you can't get are OTA may not be facts that matter. The configuration of DD out of the Tivo is still the most likely place to fix this problem. The settings are not intuitive, which is why I suggest trying all various permutations until you hit on one that works.

6. madgrizzle

madgrizzle New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    I had the same problem today as I tried to hookup the OTA for the first time this year so I could watch the Jaguars not be broadcasted in HD (man, I hate CBS). All of my OTA channels were silent. After finagling for a bit, I did what any good technician would do. Unpluged the unit and plugged it back in. The reset brought the audio back.