Original drive, Image, or Backup existing Drives

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by chjones8, Jan 5, 2020.

1. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I have a Series 3 HD and a Premiere both with lifetime that I upgraded the original drive many years ago. Both have been in use for years and I am growing concerned that the HDs will eventually fail. I have the original HD for each unit packed away. My question is if those drives, since they have no sw update for years, are even useful any longer in the event of a failure? I have seen the discussions about the Series 3 HD potentially having a problem getting the update for the current guide service. I have also seen various comments about HD images. Are there images that can be obtained that will restore these units in the event of a HD failure? Finally, is it possible with MFS Tools or some other package to clone my existing drives that have been expanded, or better yet, make my own image that could be stored on my server? Please excuse my ignorance but I have not tinkered with MFS tools since the day I installed the drive in the Premiere, which was also that day I bought it New, so quite some time ago.

Thank you to all those who continue to keep these forums alive.

2. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If you post the TiVo model number (ex TCD748250) there are a couple folks here that will pm a link to download a clean up to date image.

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    sure you can. I have an image for my TivoHD stored on my computer in case the drive I have in the tivoHD goes kaput

4. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    The Series 3 HD is TCD652160 and the Premiere is TCD746320

I have 2 more Premieres at my In-Law's house. Is the exact model # viewable somewhere in the menus as I could not find it in the menus and will have to go pull them out to read it off the back.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Sent.

6. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Many Thanks!

7. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Now I have a stupid question" What software do I use to write this image to a HD? My experience has been limited to expanding the file system for use on a larger HD.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    DvrBARS (see the Upgrade forum).

9. chjones8

chjones8 New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    thank you