Original BRITISH "The Office" starts tonight (US) on Cartoon Network

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gastrof, Sep 18, 2009.

1. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Advertisements

I think it's going to be part of Adult Swim, since it starts at Midnite.

I seem to recall something about it only being for eight weeks.

Fans of the American version who've never seen the original might want to try it.

It'll be a first time for me, so I can't recommend it. Just letting people know, that's all.

2. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    Odd, I don't remember it as being animated.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Thanks for the heads up; recordings set.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    They're running a version from a parallel universe. :p

5. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA

Advertisements

They've done non-animated stuff before too, like Saved By The Bell (I think that was an April Fool's joke) and (IIRC) Pee Wee's Playhouse.

6. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Just be aware: my SP is picking up all airings on Cartoon Network; I'm guessing that the 4 AM airing is a repeat of the midnight airing. The episode detail is generic.

7. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Indeed, it was a repeat.

8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm in that rare camp that was influenced by the US version and did not like it. Then again I only saw season 1. Hopefully they will air season 2 as well and maybe that will change my mind.

9. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I love both versions but I don't see it as a good fit for Adult Swim. That's just odd.

10. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    CN is becoming like MTV. Forgetting the Cartoon part of the name.

-Mike

11. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I thought it was hilarious (just watched the first episode so far). It is very difficult not to compare it to the US version, but I think the US Michael is better than the Brit Michael. But there are unique in their own ways.

12. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I actually think the Original Michael Scott is funnier than the American version.

13. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Ugh, I find Gervais' version of the boss truly cringe-inducing.

14. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Well one thing that struck me was Gervais' intro that asserted his character was not very smart. Michael Scott is awkward of course but he seems to ultimately have some smarts and business sense about him.

I was very entertained in seeing the UK versions of Dwight and Jim.

15. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    He said David Brent was a "fat putz" who wanted affirmation that he mattered but he never said he wasn't very smart.

16. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    ITA. MUCH.

There are times when the writers on the US show have Michael doing things that are so over-the-top that they just don't ring true to me.

David Brent, otoh, always felt like a real person and everything he did was believable to me. Sad, pathetic, obnoxious, and annoying, but believable. I thought Gervais was absolutely brilliant in that role. Especially in those later episodes when things go quite bad for David after Neil becomes his boss.

I do agree that Michael is probably smarter than David, though. I'm not sure that there was ever much evidence that David was that competent, although he must have done something to become branch manager in the first place. But Michael has shown flashes of competence, and he was able to attract women like Carol and Jan, while I don't think David could even get a date, let alone date a woman as attractive as them.

But everyone in the original BBC version is sort of sadder and more pathetic and loserish than their US counterparts. Jim is much more together than sad sack Tim ever was. Tim was still living with his parents at the age of 30 iirc.

17. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Taking David Brent's own words at face value (at the end of Ep 1)
    Maybe there's a hint of skill...

18. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    I always thought this was a funny show. "Extras" is funnier though.

19. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I have to take comments about Michael being smarter than David Brent with a little grain of salt. I haven't gone back yet and watched the Brit version, but if I'm not mistaken the first (shortened, IIRC) season of the American version was nearly a carbon copy scirpt wise, wasn't it? And the Brit version only lasted two 'series'. Did we really see any of Michael's 'flashes of brilliance' in that time?

I do have the Brit version on DVD and need to do a weekend marathon, maybe. ;)

20. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    What's now going on with the Cartoon Network's airing of the original "Office"? They aired the first season (6 eps), then the first ep of the second season, and now there are no more scheduled? WTF?