Options When On Vonage

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by garak0410, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Jul 4, 2008 #1 of 15
    garak0410

garak0410 New Member

Jul 4, 2008
    Hello...I did a search but didn't really find my answer.

I went with Vonage and because my DirecTV with Tivo receiver couldn't dial out, I moved the modem, router and Vonage box to the living room so it could dial out. I upgraded the router to wireless N and out a wireless N card in my main PC. I am still dropping signal more than I want on my main PC.

So question is, what are my options for my receiver to dial out and not have to have the Vonage box in the same room?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Jul 4, 2008 #2 of 15
    John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. Jul 4, 2008 #3 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    That doesn't help - the DTiVo won't use the network to "dial in" to TiVo. Do a search in this forum for Vonage - there are various things people have tried, some with more success than others. Some VoIP services work better for this than others (Verizon Voicewing, for example.)

4. Jul 5, 2008 #4 of 15
    Mike_TV

Mike_TV Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Search the forums for PPP over serial. I've been using that for years now as dialing out via VOIP never worked for me.

5. Jul 5, 2008 #5 of 15
    ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    It's not necessary to connect a DirecTivo to a phone line. Except for not being able to order PPV shows thru the box and not easily upgrading to the latest Tivo software - there's no downside to leaving you box disconnected.

6. Jul 5, 2008 #6 of 15
    restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I wonder if this is something specific to certain DTivos? I know I've not had problems dialing out with either regular DBS receivers or my R10 DTivo.

I've had Vonage for years. Maybe there's some troubleshooting help on the Vonage website forums.

I hate to offer a suggestion you probably already tried but did you attempt to tell it to use a non-local number using 1+ the area code? From what I read some time back now it seems to have helped some folks.

7. Jul 5, 2008 #7 of 15
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I always scratch my head on these posts... wonder why anyone would bother with getting one to dial in at all? Nag screen bother you that much?

8. Jul 6, 2008 #8 of 15
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Well, if you want that latest upgrade, and don't want to "hack" the box. a dial-in is necessary.

9. Jul 6, 2008 #9 of 15
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Ahh yes, the remote booking 'feature'.

10. macizcool

macizcool New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    It used to bother me because when the nag message was there, it didn't give you an option to delete the message, so I had a hundred messages in my box saying to dial in. But it seems with 6.4, I can delete it right away.

11. unclemoosh

unclemoosh I Wish I knew Then..

Sep 11, 2004
    Gulf South
    If it bothers you and you want to do a minor hack, search "delnag".

12. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    Do you know that you can connect your vonage router to you house phone wiring system and probably make every phone jack in your house a vonage jack? In most circumstances this will work. Sometimes your house wiring can be wired oddly so that this won't work at all, or only work on some of your jacks. If you try this make sure you disconnect your house from your main phone box or the voltage on the landline will fry your Vonage router. There is also a limit to the number of phones you can have connected to a single vonage router, due to the voltages each phone requires.

I've got vonage and I've got a Series 1, R10, and HR20 all connected and they all dial out successfully.

13. lowrykun

lowrykun New Member

Jul 3, 2008
    I don't know if anyone else is having this problem... I've had my Direct Tivo for 5+ years now and I plug my phone line in once every 6 months or so to check for software upgrades (I don't mind the nag screen too much). It always worked fine.

However, this week I tried it and it didn't work. I didn't know if something had changed and if anyone else had this problem.

I have it set up as described here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-DirecTV-Tivo-work-with-Vonage-VOIP-service

I made sure my Vonage was set to use 90Kbps Bandwidth Saver settings.

Thanks for any help.

14. restart88

restart88 New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    St....
    I read threads about doing that whole house thing here many years ago. I'm not sure if the posts are still accessible or easy to find. The one major warning, that can hardly be repeated enough, is you MUST disconnect the telco line going in to the the bell box outside because it can blow up your Vonage box. Also highly recommended is to place a note in the box saying DO NOT reconnect the line. This is to avoid the rare issue of the phone company or someone else who does not understand the ramifications from reconnecting the line.

And it does happen. About a year after I cut the cord I got a bill for service from Verizon. I called to ask why I got a bill and was told they had a work order to resume service. Turned out they had come to the wrong address but I never even knew the line was live.

15. stefanis

stefanis New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    There is a Vonage forum, just google it, that has all the ins and outs of setting up whole house Vonage wiring. I did it, it works just fine with my TiVo