Options to record at a certain time??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by grey ghost, Feb 24, 2011.

1. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010

Advertisements

There are several times per week that I have 3 shows that I would like to record, but my Tivo HD will only record two(of course). I have to record the third at a later point in the night, but I would like to record it every week at that time.

How do I do that on a Tivo? Do I set up a season pass for that time and channel only or what? Is there another option that I would be better off using? I'm trying to escape from a Comcast DVR and I'm trying to make sure I can do what I need on Tivo before I cut the cord.

One more question, I have a brand new Tivo HD that I got for free with credit card points along with a Tivo wireless adapter. It came in a sealed box and has never been used. Should I keep and use the HD or should I trade for a new Premiere?? I'm a Tivo newbie, so my whole experience is ahead of me.:D

TIA

2. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    When you set a season pass if there are conflicts (ie third tuner would be needed) it won't record the shows. But if the New episode is also on at a later time on same day it might be considerd New. The season pass has 2 options for recordings "new only" (first run) and "new and reruns". I think if you select new and reruns it would work but the TiVo would also record old episodes (ie from the last week or older).

The TiVoHD VS premier... You would end up being out more money switch to a premier.

If you got more $$ to put out up front..... Look at Moxi DVR. It has 3 tuners and the monthly sub is only ~$5. TiVo sub will be at least $12.95 per mo. With the Moxi you can also get the Moxi-Mate for other TVs in the house where you can stream from Moxi DVR to the Mate. The Mate does not connect to the cable line so you save the extra ~$8 cable co charges for "additional rooms". Plus the Mate does not have an additional mo sub per box like TiVo. TiVo can copy SOME content from box to box (not all show,ie anything with CCI bit like HBO). Moxi streams to the Mate (all show even with CCI) TiVo copies....

With TiVo you have to pay mo sub for EACH box (12.95 for first 9.95 for second third and so on).

Looking back I wish I would have went with Moxi. Think TiVo subs are just way to costly for multiple tv setup. And now I am locked in for at least a year....

3. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Here is how I handle the multiple tuner issue. My top 3 Sp's are:

1-Detroit 187
    2-The Good Wife
    3-Southland

All 3 shows are on the same night at the same time. I have a THD with 2 tuners so I chose the order based on the fact that Southland replays multiple times that night and after midnight.

Both Detroit 187 and The Good Wife record on time. Southland cant record so it automatically records at a later time. I do nothing with it and when I wake up the next day all 3 shows are in the NPL. BTW: all 3 shows are set to record First run only. This way I only get new episodes.

This only works if 1 or more of the conflicting shows repeats.

Robb

4. grey ghost

grey ghost Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thank you Rob, that was exactly my question to a T. I appreciate your answer.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008

Advertisements

Just to clarify TiVo's definition of First run, it means a show that has an original airdate within the last 28 days and hasn't been in your Now Playing List recently. The "R" in the show's description is ignored.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    My guess is this only works if the show placed 3rd in priority repeats, correct? (Not just if 1 or more repeat as you said.)

7. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Correct. TiVo only checks for additional airing for the show that couldn't record (the 3rd in priority).

So a good rule of thumb for organizing the season pass manager is to put cables shows that have repeat airings at a lower priority than network shows that do not. (Even if you like the cable show more)

Oh, and for the sake of completeness, TiVo does support repeat manual recordings by time and channel. So if you really, really want to record whatever comes on each night at 11 on channel 123 you could do that as well.

8. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Yes. For clarity the 3rd show must be the repeat show. I only have this problem with the above listings. I also only have 25 SP's, so if you have a ton of SP's YMMV.

For complete clarity I also record Southland on my S2 at 10pm. If my above plan fails for some reason, then I can transfer it to the THD and watch it in bed :D. It wont be in HD, but for me it is better to have it then not.

Sorry for the delay.

Robb

9. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    What came with this "free" TiVo HD other than the wifi adapter? What monthly rate is it going to get? Or did it maybe come with lifetime?

The current upgrade price for existing subscribers is $470 delivered for a lifetimed 300GB TiVo Premiere. No monthly after that except for the cable card itself.