Options to extend bluetooth for new Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Looper, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Looper

Looper Member

Jan 10, 2003

Advertisements

Hi-

Just added a new TiVo Mini Vox to my house. It's located in the basement - I replaced an older Mini. The old mini was located in a closet with an IR extender. The new Mini apparently doesn't have IR - bluetooth only? Of course the remote will not connect to the mini now unless the closet door is open, which won't work long-term. Is there any sort of "extender" option for the newer bluetooth-based remotes? I couldn't find anything on a search here (suprisingly, seems like this would be a common issue).

Thanks in advance...

2. Looper

Looper Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Hmmm ... testing it a bit more. Is it possible that the new Vox Mini uses IR for ?some? of the functions? It seems like it doesn't work at all if it doesn't have line of site from remote -> mini. Maybe I misunderstood the bluetooth part ... is that only used for the voice function?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There's a simple test. When you hit any key on the remote the LED should be yellow for RF/Bluetooth. Also, for Bluetooth, when you hit the blue mic button, a mic should display on the Mini.

Here's some information -> https://support.tivo.com/articles/Product_Information/TiVo-Voice-Troubleshooting

And -> Vox remote won't pair with mini

krkaufman likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Like with the RF remotes, the VOX Bluetooth remote can also operate in IR mode; but it needs to be in BT (BLE) mode for voice functions*. From the support article:

NOTE: All of the Unified Entertainment System/DVR’s basic functions can be controlled by the TiVo VOX Remote in either BLE or IR mode.

When the TiVo VOX Remote is connected through BLE, it shall be capable performing all of the basic functions of the Unified Entertainment System/DVR using the BLE link for bidirectional communication. It also adds advanced features including transmission of voice commands to the Unified Entertainment System/DVR using the microphone on the remote control as well as sending the “find me” commands via BLE.
    * ... and the TiVo box must also be running the gen4/Hydra UI for VOX/voice functionality to be available.

5. Looper

Looper Member

Jan 10, 2003

Advertisements

Thanks all! I hooked up the IR extender and it's working fine now. My main box is a Roamio with the older UI, so it looks like I'm stuck with non-voice for now ..... until / unless I decide to take the plunge. Inertia is a powerful force...