Options I can do with a S3 with Lifetime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TXNet88, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jun 9, 2019 #1 of 13
    TXNet88

TXNet88 New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi everyone, I have a Tivo Series 3 hd with lifetime. It's kind of antiquated and bulky as far as the time being, but I'm wondering what are my options I could do?

If I recall, isn't there a deal where you buy a bolt for $100 and transfer the lifetime?

2. Jun 9, 2019 #2 of 13
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    You could give it to somebody who's very handy with soldering; they might appreciate it very much.

3. Jun 9, 2019 #3 of 13
    lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Make sure it connects to the TiVo servers every month or so and hope they have another upgrade offer.

4. Jun 9, 2019 #4 of 13
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Soldering? I do not believe he said the device had any problems...

5. Jun 9, 2019 #5 of 13
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Hold on to it and have it remain active (as seen by TiVo) by connecting to the TiVo mothership regularly (I'd do it at least monthly, but I'm cautious) and wait for the next (hopefully) TiVo lifetime transfer deal. Btw, if I recall correctly, it was buy a TiVo Bolt starting at $200 and pay $99 to transfer Lifetime--the old box gets deactivated (but can still be used for standalone playback).

unclehonkey likes this.
  6. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    I have an old Series 2 with Lifetime, and I've been trying to upgrade for two years now. First year, I hadn't had the unit call home for over a year, so I lost out. Second year, I found out that I wasn't getting the TiVo emails, and I missed out on the deal. Fingers crossed for this year!

I recently had an unrelated service call with them, and I asked when they might have their next upgrade offer. Got transferred, and they wouldn't say, but they strongly hinted that they generally make such offers in June, so guess what? It's June :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  7. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    First of all check here every few days, if they have a deal someone will post it. However even if they have the transfer deal it may not be as great a deal as it used to. You end up paying $99 plus the cost of the unit you are transferring to plus tax. So for a basic Vox with the transfer fee you'd be paying probably $320 or so out of pocket. Plus the value of the box you are transferring from as it will no longer be usable (at least S2/S3s). Say $75 or so for a lifetime S2, maybe $125 or so for a lifetime S3? So your real cost would be ~$400-450 for the basic Vox (by basic I mean the cable and OTA version). Guess what, you can get lifetime Bolt or Vox for probably $300-$450 with lifetime at ebay most of the time (the basic model I mention, 500GB cable and OTA). White Bolt same as black Vox other than the voice remote.

Other considerations, I myself would not buy a lifetime cable only Tivo at this time, especially if using Comcast. As they are quite close not supporting cable cards anymore (if you try to order new service cable card type package not available as an option though you MIGHT be able to talk them into it if ordering over the phone). I'd stick with a cable and OTA type if I was buying. I think OTA good for another 5 years or so, they are required to support ATSC 1.0 for 5 years after implementing ATSC 3.0. At least that is what I heard......

Bottom line for you with an S2, wait for a promo if you like. If they don't have one this year maybe sell your S2 for $75 or so, look for a white 500GB Bolt cable/OTA with lifetime at ebay for $300-350, use your $75 towards the purchase and end up spending under $300. Or even better (IMO) a basic Roamio (again 500GB cable/OTA) model for $200-250, after your $75 applied under $200 out of pocket for a TE4 capable device. Hey, an S2 might be the only Tivo usable in the future since you can use an external box, if you can live with SD and one tuner.....................

8. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    BUT.... if you DO transfer the subscription to a new box, a working S3 power supply has some value - particularly for someone with soldering skills and / or an S3 Lifetime unit with a faulty power supply.

9. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    1. He doesn't mention that the power supply was upgraded. Most people looking at future use of the s3 model HD do mention it, if it was done, so it may well have a problem.

But that's not what I meant.

2. Well, I sometimes assume more Tivo aficionados know the real capabilities/potential of the s3 model HD than really do; so just let the soldering comment pass on by.

10. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Between my parents and I we has several S3 units and none one of them had a power supply problem. I am not sure what the actual percentage of units did, but it certainly was never plurality.

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Capacitor failure is definitely an issue with the older ones as they age. 2 out of 2 original 2006/2007 S3 OLED here had issues and 2 out of 4 HD had issues between myself, my brother and son (so 4 out of 6 total).

Scott

12. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Use it or sell it. It's still perfectly good as a DVR until ATSC 3.0 is compelling enough to make it a must-have for a DVR. In terms of recording and playing back ATSC 1.0, nothing has really changed since it was built, except that it can record more hours of content on the hard drive thanks to channels over-compressing their signals to cram two HD channels and/or multiple subchannels onto their transmitters.

13. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yeah I've also got one sitting around collection dust as well. I did the capacitor replacement on mine probably a year before I replaced it with a Bolt, and it worked perfectly. I still miss the clock on the front.

Also, you really don't need to be any kind of expert to replace the power supply capacitors. You just need common sense and very basic soldering skills. Lists of the exact capacitors to order can be found here or elsewhere, and they only cost a few bucks.