Options for accidentally damaged Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jlin, Aug 4, 2018.

1. jlin

jlin Member

Nov 20, 1999
    Santa Monica

Advertisements

I brought a used Roamio on Ebay. Unfortunately the seller did not pack it properly. It came with the face plate almost falling off.

The unit itself powers up and updated its firmware. I have not added to my account yet.

I understand that when I buy the monthly subscription option, I will get "Continual Care" warranty. If it does not cover accidental damage like this, what are my options?

I'm waiting to hear back from the ebay seller to see if he bought shipping insurance.

2. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Well, if it's important to you, tell the seller or file for a return. Shipping insurance or not, they should make it right. It's not your fault the seller packed it inadequately (and most shipping insurance will not cover it if it was improperly packaged).

Gregor likes this.
  3. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    You should make a decision quickly, and hopefully you reported the damage to the seller very quickly after receiving the package. The decision is to not ask about insurance but to tell the seller you want to return it because it arrived damaged, OR, decide it works fine and glue or whatever the faceplate.
    What not to do is start asking questions of the seller...... Make a decision otherwise the seller and Ebay will question your motive.

4. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with your advice that the buyer should have a firm idea in his mind what recourse he would like to obtain before contacting the seller, but he does not have to assume an "all or nothing" mindset. For example, IF the damage is only cosmetic and the OP is comfortable with making the repairs himself (AND assuming he finds the DVR otherwise acceptable), he could ask for a partial refund to compensate for the less-than-advertised condition upon arrival. OP winds up with a bargain-priced TiVo and the seller avoids having to swallow two-way shipping charges as well as repairing and relisting the unit. Of course, OP is perfectly within his rights (unless otherwise stipulated in the listing) to request a return and full reimbursement if that is what he decides to do.

I have occasionally had issues with an item I purchased on eBay and have found it fruitful to enter into a discussion with the seller about possible solutions. The on-line purchasing transaction is a two-way street, and it is helpful if both parties are flexible and reasonable in their expectations. If you aim for a "win/win" you can wind up not only with a cost-savings but can also feel good about yourself, having treated the other fellow fairly.

tampa8 likes this.