options after GSOD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by chown, Dec 9, 2011.

1. chown

chown New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    My TiVo HD (upgraded with 1TB drive) started showing the green screen of death and rebooting on Wednesday. Yesterday, I swapped the HD back to the original 160 GB, and it came right up.

I'm assuming I can buy a new 1 TB drive and upgrade it again. If I go that route, what is the current favorite drive?

I did a little research on upgrade options, and it looks like I can't use a 2 TB or 3 TB drive in it. Is that correct?

Is it likely that I can repair the presumably corrupted 1 TB drive?

2. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Download the 1TB drive manufacturer diagnostics and thoroughly test the drive, scanning its entire surface, multiple times.

If no problems are detected with the drive, then you simply reuse the drive in a new copy and upgrade process.

If problems are detected, check to see if the drive warranty is still in effect, replace the drive and upgrade again.

While you have your TiVo open, check the electrolytic capacitors on the TiVo power supply for bulging tops. If you find a cap (or caps) that does not have a completely flat top, then that capacitor is failing. Either replace the capacitor or the entire power supply.

A lot of TiVo power supplies were made during a time when poorly made capacitors were on the market.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You can't use a 3TB, but using the latest version of jmfs, you can use a 2TB, I'm doing it right now.

While you're looking for a drive at a price that will let you keep all of your body parts (you heard about the Thailand floods, right?), take a look at that 1TB drive with WinMFS, click on mfsinfo, see if you're booting from 3 and 4 or 6 and 7. If 3 and 4, use fixboot (or bootfix or something like that) option 2 to set it to 6 and 7, and if booting from 6 and 7, use option 1 to set it to 3 and 4. Then click on fix swap (might help, shouldn't hurt).

Put it back in the TiVo and see what you get.

Do you have any shows you need to try to save off of the 1TB?