Optimum cable Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by charmedblu06, May 30, 2019.

1. charmedblu06

charmedblu06 New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I had my Tivo Bolt for 2 years. Everything was working fine until yesterday night. The SD channels on my lower and upper channels went out (getting channel not available message). The HD counterpart works fine. I have checked cablecard diag menu and it seems the cablecard is paired, but the VCT is 0 and Val is not present. I'm not sure if it's a signal issues, cable card, or the Tivo. I have attached some photos from the diag menu. Has Anyone come across this issues before?

Attached Files:

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I don't have a Cisco card, but your image3 only shows 3 channels. That's not normal for Motorola:
    cablecard.JPG
    I always have four.

3. charmedblu06

charmedblu06 New Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Bump

I have contacted Optimum via Twitter, Chat(through there website), and phone. I have receive multiple answers: they are removing SD feed on Cablecard users, the Tivo is bad or the cable card is bad. The main error I getting: "Channel not available. Contact your cable provider for more information". This error message is on all SD channels I supposed to receive, some of this channels don't have HD equivalent. Some of this channels are
    Discovery Family (120), Universal Kids (130), Nicktoons (122), etc. The channels I listed are the same channels for the optimum box too. I'm not sure if my Tivo is going bad or I definitely have a bad cable card. The kicker is I able to receive channels that are SD (H&I-140, UP-175, LOGO-179, Hallmark-191). How would I troubleshoot if the Tivo is bad?

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Extremely unlikely that the Tivo is bad, the "they are removing the SD channels on Cablecard users" sounds like a bunch of BS as well as a violation of FCC regulations. The likelyhood that the cable card went bad...is also BS.
    Usually the cable company boxes still have cable cards installed, does your box have a cable card and does that box still get the SD channels?
    You might try redoing the guided setup but if that fails, I would file an FCC complaint. Submit a request – FCC Complaints

5. charmedblu06

charmedblu06 New Member

Jun 16, 2017

Thank you for your suggestion about filing a complaint with the FCC. Here is an update on what happened today:

I went to Optimum store to get a new cable card. Once I got up to the front desk and mention I have a tivo, the optimum employer knew why I was there. She stating “you aren’t getting any channels on the Tivo, and we are working on the issue, no need to swap the Cable card”. “In the mean time you can get a cable box from us, or buy a tuning adapter”. I response back don’t you guys carry the tuning adapter?” optimum employer stated they don’t have the tuning adapter, you can get it at electronic store like PC Richards or BestBuy”. I never heard such BS. I’m beyond frustrated. I never had to use a tuning adapter with Optimum or Fios in The Bronx. I'm not sure what to do, besides filing a complaint with the FCC.

6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    You definitely got yourself a bad rep at the optimum store. That would be like the phone company rep telling you to "go buy a pole". TA's are provided by your cable provider. Period the end.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    It sounds like they may be putting the SD channels on SDV but without supplying the customers with the required TA/tuning adapter. This is a no no, but it sounds like the folks are the same low caliber/poorly trained as most other places. I would just go ahead and file the complaint with the FCC, do not waste time, just explain the issue as clearly and briefly as you can and get it filed.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019