Optimum Cable Card problems

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by XChris, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Feb 7, 2019 #1 of 17
    XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Got my Tivo Bolt Vox last week and have not been able to use it yet. Optimum cannot seem to bind the card correctly. I get some stations but not all. They say everything looks good on their side but called Tivo and they said it is cablevision's problem. I have tried 3 different cards and even exchanged the Tivo thinking that was the problem. Been on the phone multiple times and even had a cable tech come to the house. Every time it is the same problems. Can anyone shed some light on this? Very frustrating.

2. Feb 7, 2019 #2 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  3. Feb 7, 2019 #3 of 17
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you check the cable card pairing information here, https://support.tivo.com/articles/Troubleshooting/CableCARD-Troubleshooting
    You will likely find that the "everything looks ok on our end" translates into the cable card not being properly paired. Try checking your Tivo and write down all the appropriate numbers including the data ID which is often the problem and ask them to tell you what they show for that number on their end. If they can find it, don't be surprised if they have something different. You can also try going through their Direct forum and just give them the correct numbers along with your acct. info and see if they canget you up and running. If that all fails, try the file an FCC complaint asap, Submit a request – FCC Complaints
    The complaint helps to motivate them to find one of the few competent cable card folks in their employ. You will usually be hearing from Optimum within a day or so.

4. Feb 7, 2019 #4 of 17
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Another thing you can do is to call back the CableCo and have them confirm the cable card numbers, then have them wipe the other numbers and re-enter them (restart fresh).

5. Feb 7, 2019 #5 of 17
    XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    You say to write down the data id. There are so many numbers as I run through the CableCard menu do you have any suggestions which numbers they would need? I've been going through every one of these screens. (Sorry for my lack of technical prowess.)

6. Feb 7, 2019 #6 of 17
    XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    We've gone through 3 cards already, so they've been confirmed and wiped clean multiple times.

7. Feb 8, 2019 #7 of 17
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    What exactly did you learn when you read through Tivo's cable card troubleshooting link?

8. Feb 8, 2019 #8 of 17
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All the numbers needed are in the pairing display under the cable card menus. This display is for a Motorola M-Card on a Roamio:
    ccPair.JPG

9. Feb 8, 2019 #9 of 17
    XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I personally didn't learn a thing as it all makes no sense to me. The Tivo support people determined that everything is working fine with the device and it is a problem on Cablevision's side.

10. XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I don't get all those numbers. All I have are the Card ID and the Host ID. No Data or anything else

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a symptom of a bad card or bad TiVo. However, a bad card doesn't usually even let you observe any cableCARD menu.

12. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Chris,
    Not everyone is a good candidate for a Tivo. Perhaps with your skill set, you are one of those folks. Tivo and other suppliers have a 30 day return window...consider using it.

13. XChris

XChris New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Yes, apparently I'm some sort of moron who can't read a screen or push some buttons or follow simple directions. But then again, I guess the techs they have sent to my home are just as moronic. Maybe we can start some sort of commune for those with such low skill sets. Thanks for the advice. You may fit right in.

14. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No "Data" string means you have a Cisco card, a very important detail you should have gotten from the document, or by looking at the card itself. The fact that you got "nothing" out of the detailed document we linked means you either didn't read it or didn't understand it. If you didn't understand it, that's ok. We can help with that. But you have to meet us halfway and give us meaningful feedback.

You have to be the subject matter expert because Tivo and the cable techs are indeed morons, at least when it comes to cable cards.

15. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok Chris,
    A few things, insulting as my advice to you was, it was my honest opinion of the abilities you have displayed. I don't know how or why you found the cable card troubleshooting guide so difficult to comprehend or follow, but without being able to grasp it's meaning you seem totally lost.
    Another thing, the tech's sent out to your home generally have absolutely no experience what so ever with cable cards, and the process to properly activate and pair the card to your Tivo is beyond their means and only if they can tell the tech back at the head end not just the correct numbers and how to input them on the account head end...it will always fail....even though they will swear it "looks good on their end". Somebody at Tivo support was able to look at the correct area on your Tivo and determine that the card in your Tivo was not correctly paired.
    The other issue is that cable companies in general do not like folks using cable cards for a very simple reason, they loose substantial revenue on each and every one being used. They therefore devote virtually nothing to training on these devices. Indeed, getting a cable card properly activated and paired is without a doubt the biggest complaint with Tivos and a greatest source of frustration and anger for many new users. Some of the folks caught in this situation cannot get it resolved on their own and have to then choose between giving up Tivo all together as the only other option is to file the FCC complaint linked to in my initial post. Usually, this triggers efforts on some of the higher ups in the cable company to seek out some of the few folks they know of who actually know how to get these cable cards working correctly, it seems that the cable companies do not like getting unresolved complaints from the FCC.
    Finally, there is the issue of how one handles frustration and subsequent anger, this is where personality and social skills interact. When folks try to help you when you are in distress, generally the appropriate response it is "thanks" or "thanks but a, b, c", but if instead the response is a quick dismissal with possible angry or hostile overtones...it likely will not evoke a positive reaction from the attempted helper(s).
    My final suggestions, try reading the cable card troubleshooting guide out loud or have someone read it to you while you look through the cable card setting on your Tivo. If that fails, consider filing the FCC complaint, you don't need to write a book, just a brief description of the company's failed efforts to successfully pair your cable card in x days or weeks. Good luck to you.

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    So the Cisco/SA/Technicolor CableCARD screen would look something like this and you only have Host ID and CableCARD ID which are all that's required for a Cisco/SA/Technicolor system.

upload_2019-2-11_18-42-21.png

Scott

17. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I would go with Cablevision techs having no clue. The few times I had to deal with them they had no clue. The last time my tech was actually able to call someone with a brain. All previous times took several visits and cable cards to get it working. I about gave up once. Very frustrating. Sorry I can't offer anything more then that though. Cablevision has never cared about cable cards and I think I have only ever met one tech who seemed to actually have activated a few before my installs.