Opt-out... disables video transfers?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jaypeeDC, Oct 17, 2016.

1. jaypeeDC

jaypeeDC New Member

Oct 17, 2016

Advertisements

I contacted TiVo support today to opt-out and I was informed that this will disable my video transfer capability between my TiVos as well as TiVo-to-Go and Tivo Desktop (so I assume also pyTivo and kmttg). Does anyone know if this is true and if so what is up with TiVo as there should not be a technical requirement for this....?

I have been strongly considering moving over to an open-source platform since they are not the only game in town anymore... and this just pushes enough buttons if it is true.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Opt-out of WHAT?

I am quite happy opting-in, as long it is not anything relating to the evil Micro$oft!

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'm quite sure it's true, because when they introduced Multi-Room Viewing for the Series 2 you had to opt-in or it wouldn't work, so opting out would logically turn it back off. As to the reasons for this policy, one can only speculate.

What open-source solutions are you considering?

4. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Sounds like opting out of privacy/analytics agreements. I seem to recall this being a big deal with multiple long topics around here when MRV first came out. I think in the end we all went... "meh."

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

It's collection of your viewing habits. The "Opt" condition is displayed on the last page of System Information.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    "Meh" was my reaction at the time and still is. If they were collecting anything more than your viewing habits by zip code (at the most), we would all be getting targeted ads for the first 19 seasons of South Park on DVD on every web page we visit within hours of recording a new episode.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, I think they do collect e.g. every single key you hit on the remote.. But I'm a "meh" person too.