Opening the "skipping" can of worms...again

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dsm0495, Jan 15, 2006.

1. dsm0495

dsm0495 Aviatech

Jan 15, 2006
    Fl

Advertisements

Ok so please bear with me, I'm another "newbie" to break in!
    Does anyone have the latested on the "black screen/skipping issue?
    For the "big game" this Sat PM, and a house full of inlaws,
    "Murphy" found me in the AM moving the H10 to the living room and
    connecting to the big plama (Bydsign) via Cmpnt 1, audio thru the Sony AVR,
    and letting things run on DSHD channel for a few hrs to "warmup" and set up
    DVR to record game for personal "instant replay".
    After approx an hr noticed video dropouts for a second or so when show segments changed, I figured since a cold front was blowing thru the wind gusts were affecting things, mental note to chk dish alignment in near future, but not right before game! "If it seems to work don't mess with it!"
    Channel switch to D* ESPNHD feed and things got worse, dropouts increased
    so "we" reduced format to 480i,up to 480p, to 720p and things were "livable".
    Time for game , switched to D* local Fox, dropped back to 480i to keep the game viewable!
    The dropouts, again, are only during commercial breaks and camera view changes.
    So...am I "clearing and deleting", climbing the roof, or sending the unit back Monday for warranty service?
    All responses are greatly appreciated!!!
    "You pays yer money and you takes yer chances" (someone)

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    First of all, I assume you meant HR10 not H10.

As to why it is doing what its doing, I can only guess that its the receiver.

BTW, your title was a bit misleading. I opened this thread thinking it was going to be about the 30s skip feature. :)

It could be a satellite problem, Since ESPNHD is on Sat C and DSHD is on Sat B. However, FoxHD is also on B. Are you sure that Fox also had the problem?

Did you see any problems with other HD channels?

3. dsm0495

dsm0495 Aviatech

Jan 15, 2006
    Fl
    Yes it is a HR10, sorry abt title shoulda posted ? on existing thrd assoctd w/my problm,
    my disclaimer-Newbie to forum protocal!
    Problem is all channels, at least the ones watched ystrday, SD or HD no matter and occured all during games and 24 last eve on Fox SD chnl.
    Seems I'll have to start at grnd 0 and recheck alngmnt, wiring, etc. Just hope its not the Rcvr,
    Its winter and we in Fl get lots of company this time of year!
    BTW, Thanks for the response!

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    However, you don't have to contend with freezing temps while on the roof trying to align the dish. :)

Check everything from the dish to the receivers. What happens if you swap the inputs on the HR10? Do you have an additional multiswitch?

5. dsm0495

dsm0495 Aviatech

Jan 15, 2006
    Fl

Advertisements

Huh! never considered the mltiswtch in the mix, I'll include this in diagnosis....
    when I can get started on it that is!
    Thanx Jim, I'll keep u apprised

6. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Hey dsm,

I've got nothing to add beyond what Jim has said except welcome to the forum. Also, when you are posting you should not press your "enter" key for a new line unless you intend a new paragraph. The test will wrap by itself and be much more readable.

I hope you get your issue worked out and keep hanging around.

7. xram

xram New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    New Windsor NY
    I'm in the Northeast and also had this exact problem during the games. All has been well since then. I am assuming it was a problem on their end.