Opening the disk drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sweinber, Jul 18, 2007.

1. sweinber

sweinber New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    I have a DVR 810-H that is now stuck with a "Powering up" message. There was a previous thread about this problem a couple of years ago, and one suggestion was to try opening the drive manually, using a paper clip in a hole near the digital display. However, I have been totally unable to find the hole that manually opens the disk drive, and there is no information at all in the owner's manual about this. Can anyone describe in more detail how to open the disk drive manually? Thanks.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Just to clear up your title.

"Opening the DVD drive"

3. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Most TiVos with DVD drives do not have the necessary hole you are looking for, but if you open the door of the drive manually you can usually find the little lever or button necessary to push to accomplish the same thing.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    At first I thought the OP was talking about sticking a Paper Clip in some hole to open up the HD. LOL.

But then I saw its the DVD Drive.

Most Tivos do not have this little hole. It is very common on PC CD Rom Drives, CD-RW Drives and DVD Drives. All you do is stick a Paper Clip in the little hole and it pops open the Drive enuff to be able to grab onto it and open it up fully.

funtoupgrade has given the OP the solution to the problem.

5. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    The Pioneer TiVos DO have a small hole to manually open the DVD drive. It is located under the "light bar" below the tray. Take a straightened out paper clip and slide it along the bottom of the light bar, starting from the left. About an inch or so, you will feel the hole. Gently push the paper clip in straight. You will feel some resistance. Keep pressing until the tray ejects. Good luck.

Hope that helps,
    robomeister

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I've seen a lot of these "disc stuck in drive" threads lately and have been wondering ... has anyone tried this 111 kickstart code?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5126687&&#post5126687

It's listed as "tray open code" so I'm just wondering if that will pop open the DVD drive during boot up. This was found during the eSata expansion stuff on the S3, so it might not even be in the code branch for the DVD boxes. I just might have to try this on my TX20 (I've been meaning to for a while but keep forgetting).

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Well, I tried the 111 kickstart code on my TX20 and couldn't get it to do anything.