Open Letter To Tivo: Done Being a Beta Tester

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Chimpware, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Dear Tivo,

Although I originally thought the b2 software update remedied the macroblocking/pixelation issue for me, sadly later in the evening it returned at the same frequency and same level. I appologize to those who read my initial posts, where I stated it improved the situation. Sadly I will be packing up my 2 Tivos tomorrow as I am tired of acting as a Beta tester for a commercial product.

Over the last 3 weeks I have spent many hours (approximately 30 hours) trying to troubleshoot the issue based on advice from your Tech. Support team. I have also spent $46.95 to have cable cards installed which I will not get back. In addition I have been attacked by some of the Tivo fans for posting my experiences and issues on this forum.

Overall it has been a terrible experience, and one to which I have no future hope will be remedied by Tivo.

I am deeply saddened that I wasted my time and money on the new Tivo HD and hold no hope that any future updates from Tivo, or any amount of my personal time spent changing cables, waiting for Cablevision, checking signals, etc. will improve this situation.

No need to anyone to respond negatively to this post, I will not post on the board further about this issue, or my experiences, after tomorrow I am done with Tivo and the new HD. I will however continue to respond to any inquiries about Tivo or the new Tivo HD hitw my complete experience, which is outlined on this forum in detail.

Good bye, and good luck to those who had this issue remedied with the update, do not have the problem at a level that it ruins their watching experience, or feel that faith will solve this problem for them.

Sincerely,
    Ex-Tivo Customer

2. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Your choice, sorry to lose you. Hope you give TiVo another chance in a couple months.

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    That sucks.

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you haven't already done so, I would have Cablevision send a tech out to confirm the signal levels coming into your house aren't hot and are within normal specs. The level of pixelization you report seems so extreme that I'd be surprised if something else isn't involved here (and the distinct likelihood that Tivo needs to do more work on the drivers, etc.)

(Cable signal level has nothing to do with the signal level reported by the Tivo HD)

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience with Tivo HD. I hope that your experience is the exception and not the norm.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. The TivoHD has been out for less than a month of its 2-3 year retail life.

I understand your frustration and disappointment, but I do believe that Tivo will resolve the issue with a software update in the near future. I do understand that some customers -- especially those experiencing the worst of it, like yourself -- do not have the patience to wait the weeks it may take Tivo to resolve the issue.

6. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Seems like TiVo is sending a fix for the macrovision and pixelation issues. Try the fix before you pack up and send everything back. By the way, the thread linked below came out earlier today and is a brand new fix.

See this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362755

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The OP knows that and started this thread about an hour or so after getting the update.

8. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yeah, that's the "b2" release that he's talking about still not helping with.

I'm sorry this didn't work out for you, man - like bkdtv said, I've got no reason to believe that a fix isn't forthcoming and that Tivo will get this thing licked. Hopefully you'll keep and eye on things around here and will give Tivo another chance when things look a little better.

Best of luck,
    Ryan

9. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    sorry, the post by TiVoPony does not mention, b2. (at least in the original post/entry) I thought maybe the OP did not have the latest update which only came out hours ago.

10. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Sadly did this twice, including running a dry run from the box at the street to double check house wiring.

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    :rolleyes:

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya

Like I said in the other thread, I doubt the bulk of your issues are the fault of the TiVo, but you seem to be blind to other possibilities.

12. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Did you try swapping out the boxes? If there are others with no problems, how do you know you didn't just get a bad batch?

13. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I realize it sounds dumb to say this, but did you check the version info to make sure you got b2 (following the download and forcing a restart)?

I had macroblocking also - not horrible but noticeable within 15-20 min. Since I forced the b2 software download and install, I haven't seen a single issue yet after 2 hours. Clearly, b2 has done something to fix the issue in many instances. If you're seeing severe pixelation, I agree that there may be something else afoot that's not necessarily the fault of TiVo.

14. jazmaan

jazmaan New Member

Aug 30, 2002
    Is "Macroblocking" different from "Pixellation"?

15. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Which post from the above already asks if he swapped it out?

16. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think for purposes of most of the posts I've seen, most people are using the terms interchangeably. I tend to do it for no real reason, and I think others do too.

17. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    I know that you may not have any more patience, but before you return the cable cards, just curious (as I can't remember what type of equipment you had before TiVoHD), have you tried an original series 3 box (just as a test) on your cable lines and tv setup?

If you experience the same issues with Series 3 boxes, then you may be able deduce that either your cable lines (unlikely given all the line testing), cablecards (manufacturer, model and firmware levels), or even TV inputs are the issue and not the TiVo equipment.

Honestly, I think this also an opportunity for TiVo to offer you an exchange with original Series 3 boxes just to try them out. If I were TiVo I would like to test the exact same boxes in a different location just to report what they are finding.

18. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

Chimp did download the so called "fix" while watching BB8, as am I still try to get the darn download to finish after 3 hours now. Even stopped recording in the hopes that the "fix" might complete sooner...

I'm with CW in regards to just packing up the Tivo HD for now...

19. TiVotion

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Now that's weird. My connection took no time at all - about the same time as a regular download of guide data. In fact, it happened so fast, I thought I was getting guide data and not a software update. And that's on wireless.

20. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...

Weird, I forced the "call" durring BB8 and had the code in under 5 mins.