open for suggestions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by agradualstudent, Sep 25, 2007.

1. agradualstudent

agradualstudent New Member

Sep 24, 2007

Advertisements

Hello, all:

I'm hoping to sort a new system for mom... new LCD hdtv & tivo.

a few quick questions, if you please?

it must be one with lifetime service, so which (ebay) tivo might you recommend?
    &
    if she doesn't care to record in HD, does that offer more options?

thanks in advance.

Benjamin

2. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    If you're getting her a HDTV, you might as well get her a TiVo capable of recording in HD. Even if she doesn't use it now, perhaps she will want to in 6 months...

3. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007
    but, are lifetime service tivo HDs available?

4. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007
    I suppose, I'm looking for the best available lifetime tivo, knowing she'll be watching/recording limited HD.

5. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007

Advertisements

also--

is there a better tivo to look for if a slingbox pro is used?

6. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin' TCF Club

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    No, other than on eBay.

There are also no longer any lifetime service TiVos that record only standard definition. Lifetime service was phased out. It's always possible it will pop up again in the future, but don't count on it. Get her a 3-year prepaid subscription and don't worry about it for 3 years.

7. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007
    I'll look for the most recent version on ebay.

the main thing is no payments. rather shell-out for lifetime than pre-paid payments, which don't transfer.

HD is fine, too. didn't want the drive filling up too fast on her. but, I'll simply upgrade when 1TB drives come down a bit.

she'll have to learn to use it; erase things; make a few technical decisions, etc.

Q: so S3 versions were offered with lifetime?

cheers

8. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Not exactly -- there was a deal some months ago that allowed people who owned an older TiVo with product lifetime service to transfer that service to a TiVo Series3. So those are the machines you would see on eBay -- and there aren't that many of them. The other thing you might look for is a Best Buy gift card good for TiVo product lifetime service. But those go for something like $600 I think, not including the cost of the TiVo.

9. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007
    fabulous tip! that's a great little tidbit. :up:

they may prove to be too much, but something to consider. especially if it allowed one to use it on the newest tivo HDs.

thanks again. :)

10. JustAllie

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I think I forgot to mention that Best Buy doesn't sell them anymore -- eBay is pretty much your only source, as far as I know.

11. agradualstudent

Sep 24, 2007
    right, right. I follow.

so,- an HD tivo would mean she wouldn't need to rent another HD receiver from the cable company?

[there's already a digital HD receiver on the big tv downstairs.]

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Correction - yes, there are. Due to the terms of the agreement between TiVo and Humax, any Humax DVD combo unit is eligible for lifetime the first time it is activated. And WeaKnees.com is selling a stock of DRT400s for $49 - eligible for the $299 lifetime.

So there is that one loophole to get new lifetime.

13. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Some debate on that.

The cable companies have this lovely little plan called "switched video" which means they switch what pathways the channels take to your neighborhood and home, depending on what channels people in your area are tuning to. In other words, all channels may not be available at all times, even on a device with cable cards. (This is in the name of letting your cable company offer a greater number of channels. They don't have to feed them to you all at once, so fewer "pathways" can be used than the actual total number of channels.)

TiVo seems to be working on it, but no news yet. If they can't make TiVo work with switched video, the cable companies may have found a way to make customers dependent on their boxes again, the exact opposite of what the FCC's rulings were aiming for, that the cable companies have to work and play nice with cable card devices.

Does YOUR cable company use switched video, or are they planning to? I'd ask...