Only Windows Media To Play Tivo Files?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jk5598224, Mar 15, 2006.

1. jk5598224

jk5598224 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Is Windows Media the only DVD Player Software that can be used? It is kinda crappy. I tried to use WinDVD w/ a File Open and it didn't play.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Any DirectShow capable player will work. If you don't like WMP then you could try the Elecard MPEG player. It's got some neat features like the ability to FF...

http://www.elecard.com/products/products-pc/consumer/144/mpeg-player

Hint: If a software program doesn't recognize .tivo files by default you should be able to type *.* into the file name box and press enter to reveal all files. It will still only play files it's capable of playing, but some times what it's capable of and what the file open box lets you pick by default are two different things.

Dan

3. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm assuming you're running XP on your system? Windows media player may be configured by default. Go to "Start" - "Set program access and defaults", choose "custom" and in the drop down menu you'll see :"Choose a Default Media Player. unselect windows media player and chose "use my current media player".

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I use Media Player Classic just fine.
    I think Nero Showtime might work, but I'm not sure

5. TivoJunkie43

TivoJunkie43 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    So do I. I think Media player plays Tivo just fine, and it looks better than Nero's show time.