Only 4 Threads In 2 Weeks, The End Is Nigh

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Automan, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...

Advertisements

I guess like many other now the visits to this forum are on the decline.

My last box is no more and I guess those that have survived run an alternate epg.

Still, ten years is not bad...

Automan.

2. spitfires

spitfires wassock

Dec 19, 2006
    South Coast, UK
    There are still a surprisingly large number connected to the alternate system :up:
    Probably more than you would think. (I won't say the exact amount in case it is a secret and I get lambasted... again :( )

3. regdor

regdor New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    There are several on ebay this week and one went unsold last week. I guess even the real enthusiasts have got at least one spare by now!! I went to a Humax last year and was going to sell my Tivo but may as well just keep the hard drive for my PC and re-cycle the carcass.

4. jonmon

jonmon New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    still using my TiVo and will still use this forum in the future. don't think I could give it away now, like it to much. not sure why a lot of people are giving them away? the alt. epg is great, that's what I think anyway. the only thing is is it not being HD. even dual tuners is not that important as one can only watch so much TV.
    hope people will carry on useing there series 1 TiVo and this forum

5. regdor

regdor New Member

Jun 22, 2006

Advertisements

When yorks area went digital i bought the Humax. We have an analogue TV so to watch and record i would have had to use both my existing (free) Sky and a freeview box. Too much messing about. The Humax is very good and on my set gives a better picture than the Tivo ever did. Audio though is weak. IF i had cable i would have gone Virgin/Tivo but no chance of us getting it.

6. Steve_K

Steve_K Member

May 5, 2001
    Sussex, UK
    Mine's still running (on AltEPG) and works very well

However our two Sky HDs and the BT Vision have better recording quality so it's mainly the auto recorded suggestions I watch now via TiVo

As for the UK part of the forum well the mainstay was always the TiVo modifiers and I'd guess most have migrated either to the AltEPG forums or Virgin media. Would be sad to see the lights turned out though.

7. Banny

Banny New Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Well I was going to give it a go, albeit it a little late, *just* missed out buying a box on ebay :(

8. mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    As well as fewer users I think there are fewer posts because everything works, newbies have finally learned to read FAQs and search before posting, etc.

We've got far more out of the series1 TiVos than we could have ever dreamed of 10 years ago, both in terms of software/hacks and networking, disc upgrades etc. Imagine having just 12 hours of Best (at 544x720 not even mode0) quality now!

Actually, it's all public information on the altepg.com website - so there can be no problems sharing it here:
    http://www.altepg.com/serverStatistics.html

9. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    3.5TB of recorded TV on the Media Centre now. Different world back then!

10. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    I have much the same but find it a little slow going between menus. I am running MyMovies client & server as well on my Acer Revo

11. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I ditched the Revo for speed reasons, for a 2nd gen Core i3 box.

12. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    OK that may be a future option when I have more time. The Acer Revo has WAF because it is small and hidden behind the TV.

I may have to ditch my last S1 Tivo and slot an HTPC box in its place maybe she wont notice ;)

13. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    One advantage of trusty TiVo over Humax, is it correctly recorded the football for my son over the weekend unlike my Humax that had recorded "broken" failed recordings...Seen this occasional in year or two I have had the Humax.

Not too sure why, but just got failed recordings on Humax. No recording history or log files to look at to find out why either.

14. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
  15. manolan

manolan New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    LONDON, UK
    I think I'm going to wait and see what happens with the Raspberry Pi.

16. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    We're moving in a few weeks from Sweden, and we'd been looking at our options.

1. Customise TiVo for a different country. Done it before, could do it again.
    2. Buy a new local TiVo. But I'm not sure what the situation is locally yet. The forum seems dead.
    3. Go another route.

We've decided on the latter. Not bothering with cable or satellite, spending it on iTunes vouchers, DVD rentals, and iPlayer, and going the EyeTV route for sort-of "live" TV.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Where to this time Stephen?

18. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    We're off to Adelaide, Australia. If you look at the NZ/Australia section there are 2 posts in a month...

19. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    That's a bit of a change of environment! All the best down there.

The OzTivo guys are still active - they helped out with the AltEPG project.

20. kitschcamp

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Yeah, very much so! -25C winters to +39C summers :)

Option 1 is changing over to OzTivo. Not sure if it's worth the hassle now. I'll see how the EyeTV solution goes, then decide on OzTiVo or NewTiVo if we need to.