only 1 PATA slot....other is serial

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by lknouse, Oct 23, 2007.

1. lknouse

lknouse New Member

Mar 28, 2004

Advertisements

I am trying to upgrade without instantcake....but to no avail! I am frustrated to the point where I am willing to purchase instantcake....but I do not have two spots on my home computer for the ide cables. I have a ide and 2 serial ports. I unerstand that I would not be able to set up my drives in the traditional instantcake manner....can instantcake work for me?

Is there a better option?

I am quite sure this question has been adressed somewhere, but I was unable to locate an answer via search. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Try mfslive.org. I think they may show you how to configure the setup with sata or how to use sata/ide adapters.

Even with instant cake. unless you set it up exactly as they say(using ide), you would need to know how to tell the computer what drive is connected to what port.

3. lknouse

lknouse New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    It looks like this is an option....the website says that it will not work with drives large than 400gb...is that true? I am looking on outpost.com and it does not denote a 400gb limit.

4. lknouse

lknouse New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    It looks like this is an option....the website says that it will not work with drives large than 400gb...is that true? I am looking on outpost.com and it does not denote a 400gb limit.

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....

Advertisements

http://www.pcgears.com/default.aspx?oid=192685
    I know nothing about this other than the website puts no limits on size. Hope this helps. :)

6. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    You can actually have 2 drives on a single PATA channel -- master and slave. Copying is much slower than if the drives are on different channels, but it should still work OK.

7. lknouse

lknouse New Member

Mar 28, 2004