Online Tivo doesn't stream out of home?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jsgray, May 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jsgray

jsgray New Member

Jun 9, 2011

Advertisements

I tried streaming one of my recordings to my office from anyone of my 3 Tivos at the house and I didn't see any way to do it. I could schedule recordings, etc., but not able to watch any recordings. Is this the way it is or am I coming up short?

2. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...
    I also want to do this. I have the Bolt and I'm not sure if it's possible with the Bolt. I think I need to add a TiVo Stream into the mix?

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Out of home streaming to a web browser via TiVo Online does not work regardless if you have a Bolt, Roamio Plus/Pro, or stand alone stream. No idea if TiVo plans to add this ability or not.

4. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Did you try watching on a smartphone via the TiVo app?

I know that works when streaming from a Roamio Pro. I believe it is not yet working from Bolts.

5. RMSko

RMSko Active Member

Sep 4, 2001
    Westfield,...

Advertisements

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm trying to do out of home streaming to an iPad. Does that make a difference?

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The workaround I'm using is Chrome Remote Desktop logging into my server and running kmttg to download shows to the server, then using Plex remotely on a laptop etc. I used to use the TivoToGo plugin for Plex to do the same thing but it's broken for all the mpeg4 channels we have on Comcast now.

Yeah, it's a kludge but it works pretty well. Not streaming directly from the Tivo but bypasses all the crap that comes with Tivo's remote access approach (the Android app in particular sucks balls OOH).

Main drawback is you can't do this with CP'd shows. Others have setup VPN on their router to allow for same-subnet access to bypass the OOH check, the online app then thinks you're on your home LAN. Or get a slingbox with a dedicated Mini and don't bother with the Tivo online app.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes - If you are trying to stream to the iOS (or Android) apps then it is supposed to work if you have a Roamio Plus/Pro or stand alone stream. It does not currently work with a Bolt, but TiVo has said they are working on adding that functionality to the Bolt, time frame unknown.

8. jsgray

jsgray New Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I have no problem at all streaming to my iPhone from my home Tivo Premiums. I also have my Tivo Streaming device. Works great. Only thing I couldn't do was connect from home to office via Onlinetivo, which was explained really well on this forum. Thanks guys.

9. jsgray

jsgray New Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I can stream to my iPad from the house.

10. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It's very annoying that you can't stream to a web browser OOH. I don't see a good reason why TiVo would have this limitation.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    *shrug* They do a lot of stuff half-assed, this is nothing new. But it's easy to workaround.

12. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I am connected to my TiVo Roamio through TiVo Online, but it tells me I am not connected to the internet. It is, because my oldest son is watching Netflix on it. However, he is connected via wifi. Does TiVo Online need to have a hard-wired connection?

"DVR is disconnected

Your request could not be completed because your TiVo box does not appear to be connected to the Internet. Please fix your connection, or try again later."

13. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm getting ready to drop DISH next week and with my Hopper2, I can view anything remotely using a web browser and having to use my phone or tablet is a little set back...

Here is my work around.....

Install a FREE Android Emulator on your computer. Then Install the Android Tivo App. There are many different free emulators out there. I used BlueStacks. You may need to try a couple to find one that works for you. They are not perfect, but work. I've been using BlueStacks for about a year to test apps in different versions of Android.

IF you're not familiar with the emulators, they will allow you to run most android apps on your computer.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  14. debi.lorraine

debi.lorraine New Member

Sep 18, 2016
    I'm interested in your workaround for out-of-home streaming. Does this computer stay in the home, and then you connect to it somehow?

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No.

The workaround is to address TiVo Online's inability to stream out-of-home (to a non-mobile device), and so is applicable to PCs or laptops NOT on the home network with the source TiVo DVR(s).

Installing an Android emulator on a laptop or PC allows installation of the TiVo app for Android within the emulator. Once the emulator-wrapped TiVo app is initialized on the home network, as is required for setting up mobile streaming, this laptop or PC should be able to stream content out-of-home just as a mobile Android phone or tablet can, bypassing TiVo Online.