Online Scheduled Recordings defaulting to SD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Pafrican, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Pafrican

Pafrican New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    For the past week or so, anytime I schedule a recording through Tivo.com on my TiVoHD, it always defaults to the Standard Definition channel. I specifically go to the HD channel in the channel listing (say for this week's Champions League action) and do a One-Click Record (my preferences are set on best and there is no option for standard/hi-def). When I get home, the recording is always on the standard definition channel (so instead of Fox Soccer HD it's the regular channel or ESPNHD it's just HD). I've got Time Warner if it matters.

I even check the confirmation email and despite click to record channel 424 (HD) it says "Request received to record channel 65" (SD).

Any thoughts?

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Remove channel 65 from "Channels I receive"

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If fact, remove all SD channels for which you have an HD version. Are you going to watch SD when there's an HD equivalent? Probably not.

4. Pafrican

Pafrican New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Definitely a workaround, but any thoughts on why this just started happening in the last week? Had this unit and have been doing online recordings since 2008.

5. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    When this first happened to me I really couldn't figure it out. Did you have a recent channel line up change?

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    My tube TV finally died and I'm going to buy an HD TV. I still am going to watch mostly the SD shows because the HD shows TAKE TOO MUCH SPACE. and I say this with a 1 TB drive in my Tivo HD.

(and yes, this can have bad effects the other way, like me having a 1 TB drive in my S3 that died.. so I lost a lot of recordings..)

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Not really a workaround, it's a practical necessity to remove SD channels if you use Wishlists. I don't understand why people resist doing this unless they want to keep smaller SD copies because their drive is always full.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    How about this for a reason. I sit 15 feet from my TV when I am at my computer trading stocks. I have the TV set to CNBC. The HD channel shrinks the viewing image so it can provide more data below and to the right of the image. Therefore I watch the SD channel which provides larger letters & numbers that I can see across the room.

I still want the HD channel to record some of the evening programs.

TiVo suggestions seems to always pick the SD channel.

However, that is the only SD channel that I retain in my list.

9. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    You have offered one of the few decent reasons I have heard to keep a specific SD channel.

That said, you have CNBC on throughout the day to support your research actively managing your investments. Surely your could get a front projector or a 65" or bigger flat panel display so you could see CNBC HD across the room.

Heck, deduct it as an investment expense along with the new computer(s), real time trading platform subscription, and commissions and margin expenses. The IRS would probably go for it, right?:D

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Actually I have a 60" set now, and I just measured the distance and it's 22 feet. Just bad eyes.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    <shrug> You can always tune an SD channel that's not in the list, but keep the HD channel for program listings. I do this for the weather channel - only the HD version is in the list but I tune to the SD version because local on the 8's is still not HD on Comcast. If it's just a channel or two it's no big deal to remember what the SD channel number is.

12. DirtyHarry3033

DirtyHarry3033 New Member

Jan 19, 2008
    This "bug" has been driving me crazy for a week now, it shouldn't work that way. It should schedule the recording on the channel where you do the 1-click record (like it used to)

That's a good idea to delete the SD channels, I'll try that later today. But it's a PIA though, that's a lot to go through.

There is another "workaround" that I discovered this morning for those that don't want to delete the SD channels. Instead of clicking "1-Click Record," click "Record with options."

In the options dialogue, look for the "Which Channel" dropdown list, it will default to the SD channel. Click it and you can choose any available channel the show is on. I tried it, and the confirmation email shows the correct HD channel I selected.

13. ronbor1017

ronbor1017 New Member

Apr 29, 2011
    We cannot possibly be the only few having this problem. It's maddening to schedule an NHL playoff game then tune in 1 hour after it starts and have to watch it in all of its 4x3 glory (of course I then create a simultaneous HD recording until I catch up).

I also wonder now if that's why my i.tv app no longer records on the HD channel even if I specifically tell it to.

I LOVE the suggestion to delete all SD channels. They are useless to me anyway.

14. Pafrican

Pafrican New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Forgot about the issue I was having until I came home this afternoon wanting to relax on the couch watching the Tottenham/Chelsea game from earlier. Setup the recording while away this morning. The 4:3 blurriness is worse than Gomes goalkeeping.

Went ahead and just unselected all the SD channels. Thanks for the suggestion Thought there would be a fix for this, but guess this option will have to work.