Online merchants

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by johnchart, Jan 16, 2006.

1. johnchart

johnchart New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Why is it when you are doing model number price searches for HDTV'S, the best price quotes come merchants that are little known and seldom have merchant reviews posted? Example: D-compute, Computers4sure, etc. I have yet to find a lower price from bigger companies such as TigerDirect, Onecall, etc. I like to buy from reliable companies, but they are usually several hundred dollars higher.

John

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Sometimes, but not always, the "bigger" online firms are authorized resellers of a particular brand, while the "little known" ones are not.

3. simonalope

simonalope New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    People's...
    I'm not sure if the HDTV market is exactly similar, but I know for digicams the little teeny shops with super-low prices are sometimes selling "gray market" items - legit merchandise but not licensed for sale in the US. It's the same camera physically and getting a manual in a different language may not be a big hassle, but there are often warranty issues. Also, often these shops advertise a super-low price, but surprise, after you order they tell you it's out of stock and hey, how about this other model for only $$ more? Definitely watch out for abusive backorder/return policies - I remember one shop where the terms and conditions basically said "once you give us your money, you can't cancel your order even if it turns out we're suddenly out of stock and you have to wait months for the item to show up, and even if the item we ship is defective, you'll pay for shipping both ways and a restocking fee."
    I find this picture directory of Brooklyn-based online vendors very interesting. I'm sure some of those shops are also now dealing in HDTVs and other currently hot items.
    For a big pricey item that can have repair/reliability issues, I'd stick to dealers you can trust to still exist in three years and to treat you fairly if your TV breaks within a week of delivery.

4. johnchart

johnchart New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    simonalope

Thanks for your info on these rip-off places. Talk about "Buyer Beware"!

John

5. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    There is a long thread in the consumer reports forums about these Brooklyn and Queens NY-based outfits (although not limited to NY City).

In addition to the scam in the above thread, I have heard another scam can go as follows. They have the item for $200-$300 less than legitimate places and say that it is "in stock". They then offer you an extended warranty for $300-$400. If you refuse, you will get a notification that they are backordered. It will NEVER come off backorder.

What I got out of the article is avoid them like the plague.

Good luck.

Jim

6. johnchart

johnchart New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Another thing you have to check closely: While searching for best price on Panny 50PHD8UK, I found sites that did not include the stand. OK if you are going to mount it on the wall; otherwise it will cost you $200 or so extra for the stand.

John