Online backup of season passes

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JeffKusnitz, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1 of 16
    JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    If I sign in to tivo.com, I can navigate to my TiVo and see all of the upcoming recordings, things that have been recently recorded, etc. Does TiVo also have my scheduled recordings, or at least the Season Passes online as well? It would be great if they did, and they gave me a way to download them if my TiVo ever needed to be replaced (i.e. its disk died)

2. Feb 7, 2010 #2 of 16
    jimsocks

jimsocks New Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Jeff - break out your digital camera and take snapshots of your season pass & other lists...not as seamless as a direct download - but at least you won't have to recreate them from scratch...

3. Feb 7, 2010 #3 of 16
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Somehow I thought TiVo did that. I'm not sure why I thought so.

Anyway, it's really a lot more complicated than just taking a picture. You can not create a season pass unless the show is in the 2 week guide data. The safest way to keep your season passes is to do a physical backup with WinMFS or similar. Or, write it down. An on-line backup option would be the best.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #4 of 16
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    We, the users, have been asking for this for YEARS. TiVo has not yet delivered.

Losing a TiVo is a royal pain, not just in the reconstruction of the Season Passes (for which an entry can't be created if it's currently on the schedule) but also for all of the Wishlists.

5. Feb 7, 2010 #5 of 16
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I read somewhere that the season passes are kept online IF you subscribe to a guru guide. I'm not sure how it works myself since I don't use guru guides, but maybe someone who has can chime in.

6. Feb 7, 2010 #6 of 16
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Here's how it works:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4121063&&#post4121063

Personally, I keep all my SPs in an Excel spreadsheet (see example link in my sig), complete with links to the shows on tivo.com so I can quickly rebuild SPs if necessary.

7. Feb 7, 2010 #7 of 16
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And the sad thing is, this could easily be a chargeable service. With 75 SPs and just as many WLs, I would gladly pay a buck or two a month, or $10/yr, or whatever, for a backup of all my settings.

I really think TiVo is dropping the ball on this. Revenue, guys! I even wrote to them a couple years ago about this, and never even rec'd a reply. :(

8. Feb 7, 2010 #8 of 16
    ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    You can NOT quickly recreate your SPs unless ALL of your SPs are actually on the schedule NOW. Shows that are summer only or currently on hiatus due to the Olympics - e.g So You Think You Can Dance - can NOT be added as a Season Pass no matter how badly you want to add it. You can either add it within 2 weeks of when it starts to air again or you can set up a Wishlist, but an SP is simply not an option.

Similarly, a wishlist can not be created for an actor or producer unless that person is already on the upcoming schedule. If it's an actor that appears rarely, you may never get around to catching it on the schedule to add it.

9. Feb 8, 2010 #9 of 16
    windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes, good point. Luckily I've never had to use my spreadsheet to re-create everything, but at least I have it documented. ;)

10. JeffKusnitz

JeffKusnitz Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Thanls everyone.. I'll check out guru guides. I'm with astrohip though, I'd probably pay for this.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I use the digicam approach. Two or three times a year I take pictures of the SP, NP and WL screens (yes, I know the NP screens serve no purpose, but the same anal-fixation that compels me to take the pics makes me take NP pics too). I've spent a lot of time prioritizing the SP list, and it would be a b*tch to recreate. And one of the problems with the pics of the WL is I have renamed many WL to <whatever>, but the underlying code may have multiple ANDs, ORs and NOTs.

TiVo--backup our data!

12. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    I'd be happy if the TiVo Desktop application could be enhanced to support the backup and restore of this data - all of the data or individual entries - including the priorities for the season passes as well.

13. chrishicks

chrishicks Tivo Junkie

Dec 30, 2003
    MI
    I must be old school since I just use a pen and a notebook to keep a list of my current SPs. It helps that I don't have anything like Wishlists though.

14. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    As shown above, if you just set your self one Guru guide you have an unofficial online back-up. No garuntee or warranty will cover it... I think TiVo is just being careful. The option is there, if you want to do it that way. You are paying for a service.

15. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
  16. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes, it's all manual entry, sorry. Although now that there are third-party utilities that can pull the SP info right from the TiVo itself (see recent updates to kmttg or tivotodo) I can probably stop doing that. ;)