OneSource and OnePass questions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jeebus81, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Jeebus81

Jeebus81 New Member

Mar 9, 2017

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm considering jumping into the TiVo ecosystem to get rid of the $60/month I spend on DVR service and boxes with FiOS (for four TVs). The speed of the FiOS boxes is especially slow, too. I'm looking at getting a Bolt and some Minis to replace my current system.

I've dug a little into the semi-recent guide issues on here and those are a little scary but what has me continuing to look into this are the OneSearch and OnePass features. The thought of a single search engine to go through my cable and streaming services is very enticing. In addition to FiOS, I have Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and Hulu Plus, and I use VUDU for my UV collection.

I'm wondering how well the OneSearch works in real life. If I set the search to only look at "free" shows, does it include the services I mention above or would it consider those as not free?

And is the OnePass feature like a playlist that I can delete/check off episodes as I go through them?

The whole aggregation aspect of TiVo is the thing that's drawing me in the most. Is there any alternative product that does something similar? If so, I haven't found it. Overall, I'd just like to get some opinions on how well this aggregation works in the real world for people.

Thanks a lot.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Welcome.

This is going to be a long thread. It should be educational. Just one answer: I don't know of anything (with a cable card) that is as good.

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, there's no way of checking off episodes as you go through them.. Though for most shows, you can set your OnePass to "new only", as long as you've kept up, you won't be missing anything. (I too wish there were a way to specifically mark off episodes as seen... Even though I _rarely_ watch reruns, especially for main broadcast TV shows, once in a while there's a glitch in a recording or something so I don't want to consider it fully 'watched', and wish there was a way to keep track of this..)

There are apparently various iOS (and presumably Android) apps to keep track of things like this.. but I've never really looked into them.

For a few shows (though I've sort of given up on doing it for some of them), I was manually keeping track of which episodes I'd seen, even though I was pretty sure I was just keeping up normally. For a few other shows (some of the cable ones that I WILL nuke recordings of, e.g. Naked and Afraid), I will keep track of episodes so I don't re-watch them.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    With a streaming OnePass, you can just delete the episodes after watching them.

The only issue with streaming OnePasses at this time, is that TiVo has been slow to add new episodes/series since the data switch. Currently all of my Netflix series are showing up, but it was months before they added The Crown for example.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Ditto above. I just watched the first season of Stranger Things on Netflix this way and it works well when all the episodes are present such as in this case.

Scott

6. Jeebus81

Jeebus81 New Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Thanks for the info, guys!
    So are OnePasses sort of curated by TiVo? I sort of thought you could just pick a show and it would go out to all of your available services to find all the episodes of it that are available. This makes it sound like TiVo has a set of OnePasses that people have to choose from and if whatever show you want isn't in their approved list, you can't do it.

7. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    All of the shows should be available, but it is getting the info from Tivo's database when it searches so every time a new series is added there is a slight (or possibly longer) delay before it's added by TiVo.