OnePass set to "New Episodes Only" still recording Reruns

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ento190, Feb 19, 2018.

1. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I've had TiVo over 10 years, and this problem creeps up from time to time on various shows. I have "Watch What Happens Live" on a OnePass. It is a nightly show that comes on at 10. Still, TiVo has insisted on recording it for the last month at 2:30 am when it has a rerun. It's on my to-do list to record at 2:30 am as well.

Is this the fault of the network? Are they labeling the 2:30 show as "new" or something? The description is generic on the rerun, and I noticed that the new episodes also have a generic description (they used to say the guests names). It only shows up on one channel, so specifying that channel only didn't help.

I can't believe this has happened on and off for so many years and this is the first time I am asking about it - but maybe I can fix it once and for all. Is there a way to force all recordings to stop at 2:30 am? Otherwise, I have to delete every one or remove them all from the to-do list.

(I saw this suggestion, but it's 10 years old so I don't know if it will work - : Re: Recording First-Run only | TiVo Troubleshooting | TiVo Help Forums)

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It's the guide data. The Tupper method is still the way to go.
    This topic has been discussed A LOT, especially concerning The Daily Show.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's funny. Except for the bogus season number, TDS is very well behaved anymore. Win some, lose some.

4. ento190

ento190 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Thanks. I figured it was that & even saw the TDS discussions too. I guess I can do a manual recording and delete the onepass... the network / guide data hasn't been reliable on one show or another for ages. With so many people having DVRs, I'm amazed the guide data isn't more carefully sent out.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    And Rovi (now TiVo) guide data is supposedly a big mainstream source. I can't imagine how it can maintain a good reputation for long if it's as bad in other applications as it is on TiVo. The other apps that use it just must not be as demanding.

6. justlp

justlp New Member

Mar 3, 2018
    I just joined this forum to see if I could find out why the guide data is so messed up lately - generic descriptions, repeat recordings of the same show, gaps/blanks in the show name for hours on several channels... I guess the answer is something about changing the guide to Rovio format? What is the Tupper method? Can anyone point me in the right direction to get more details/info? Thanks in advance!