OnePass recording re-runs because the guide says they are New shows ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bill Zardus, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Bill Zardus

Bill Zardus New Member

Nov 27, 2018

Advertisements

I am also annoyed that when I want to set a One Pass to
    record all NEW episodes of the local news, or news shows on
    MS-NBC, Fox News, or CNN TIVO also wants to record the early AM
    reruns of the exact same show.

In other words if I set up the Season Pass to record the Rachal
    Maddow or Sean Hannity show I end up with the correct recording
    and then a duplicate recording when the exact same show is
    re-broadcast in the early AM. This happens with many stations
    so I know it is not the station causing this problem.

I stopped recording the local news because I got tired of sorting
    through and deleting all of the duplicate broadcasts.

I just noticed that when I look at the onscreen "guide" for
    the very early morning listings, the reruns of news shows
    like (Fox News) Hannity and MSNBC Rachal Maddow or the
    people on CNN have an indicator next to the show name that
    incorrectly makes the show appear to be a "new show" rather
    than a re-run.

And that apparently is what is causing this problem

Our local 11:00 PM local news is re-run in the early am,
    and those rerun shows (on different networks) have the same
    issue.

Is this a TIvO issue or an RCN issue ?

I NEVER had this problem when I had TIVO and RCN 2 years ago.
    When you set up a season pass for NEW episodes that is all you
    got back then.

Anyone else noticing any of this or have an explanation ?

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    This is a known bug with some shows, seems to happen a lot on local news broadcasts or some cable news shows that have repeat runs later the same day or evening. Or at least those are the types of shows where its happened to my One Passes, may be more instances that I'm not aware.

Bill Zardus likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I am not getting repeats of The Daily Show after midnight, I am getting repeats of Late Night recorded this week. There is no OAD.

4. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Some people manually clear the duplicates from their To Do List to get rid of them but I choose to set a manual recording for when I want to watch them as I don't every night.

5. Bill Zardus

Bill Zardus New Member

Nov 27, 2018

Advertisements

Thanks, that's what I have been doing but I was trying to figure out if this is a
    TIVO issue or an RCN issue.

Unless your cable company is RCN, then it sounds like another TIVO
    issue but I don't get why I never had this problem 2 years ago
    when I had RCN and TIVO (?)

Calling RCN with TIVO problems is a waste of time.

Their telephone support people think the solution is always to
    send a tech out on a service call but I knew that would be a waste
    of time for this problem.

Bill Z
    Delaware County, PA
    (suburban Philly)

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Hi Bill! Yeah, this has been going on for quite a while. I feel like that it is more about a given channel than a given show, but that's my experience with it. It will record shows that don't even say, or in any way imply, that they are 'new' on certain channels for me.

Fortunately, I don't work anymore so I have a lot of time on my hands to go through the 'To Do' list and cancel all the extra ones that are scheduled to record. It still ticks me off, but I don't see it changing any time soon.

7. Bill Zardus

Bill Zardus New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Yeah it was confusing when I first realized I was getting so many duplicate recordings.
    Then I looked at the To-Do list and noticed the problem.

Then a few days later I noticed the guide was indicating re-runs were "New shows".
    This happens consistently across many stations, so I'm pretty sure it's not the stations.

By Googling I just noticed that TIVO is not making their own equipment anymore
    and since I have very new equipment that uses voice technology to find channels,
    I wonder if that new equipment is causing the problem (?)

I suspect that not many people are using this yet and that is possibly why no one else
    has mentioned this here before

I am going to be leaving RCN and TIVO very soon for Amazon Firesticks so I am not
    going to kill myself finding the solution. But I will complain on the RCN forums so they
    know about the problem.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    No, this is not a hardware problem. It's the software logic, I just record one episode and it addresses my need. Manual recordings are another solution.

unclehonkey and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  9. Bill Zardus

Bill Zardus New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Like Sudzi said ...
    It's actually better for me to go through the "To-Do
    list" every 3 or 4 days and spend a half an hour
    canceling the shows that I know will be duplicates.

A 1 show limit on recordings would only work if I was willing
    to schedule my time to watch 1 show every day.
    But I frequently get sidetracked on my computer researching
    stuff and it's easier to just binge watch 3 or 4 days of shows
    at a time.

There are a handful of frequent topics on every news station
    that annoy me and I just fast forward through them.
    For instance MS-NBC loves to throw a pity party for
    illegals trying to invade our borders in every time slot
    and I can't watch that crap very long.

So me binge watching 4 or 5 shows takes the same amount
    of time as it would for a normal person to watch 1 show.

WRZ

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    For news shows, I would set up a manual recording by time and station. Note that TiVo does not use the new indicator to determine if a show is new for recording purposes. It looks at the Original Air Date and if the guide data is generic or has the wrong OAD then it defaults to recording the show to be safe.

I've never recorded any news or talk shows myself but haven't had any issues with this while recording TV series. Note that with the switch to Rovi's guide data, you will see sometimes (frequently?) see excess recording of shows in the ToDo list 10-12 days out due to generic guide information but at least for our shows, that gets resolved as those dates get closer and real guide information is downloaded. I would not waste the time to remove these if they are more than a week out in the ToDo list if you don't want to set up manual recordings for the news.

Scott

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    How I stay happy; TiVo has a 6/7-day guide. Days after that are just place holders. :)

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Based on your feedback, it appears your use case seems perfect for a manual repeat recording.

13. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I use wishlists exclusively because I like the shows in categorical folders. Same issue there. WLs with a NEW ONLY flag sometimes record shows WITHOUT that flag. ... and WL logic is all screwed up. Shows are recorded without any matching title, keyword or actor.
    It seems that Tivo is interested in adding new features, but not FIXING broken 1P or WL logic.

14. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    To avoid this problem with ABC local news, I record ABC World News and pad it by 30 minutes to catch the 6 PM Chicago local news. I've been doing this for way more than 2 years. I now have Comcast and their DVR. I just automatically programmed it the same way.

ABC local news airs at 4 PM, 5PM, 6PM, 10 PM and various times in the AM. All of these would record if I just wanted the 6 PM news.

15. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    huh guess I'm one of the lucky ones as my local newscasts are billed as "KEYC News at ____" so I can set a 1p for the 6:00 news and it will record only that :)

16. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Locally produced content on ABC and PBS are problematic for me. I've stopped recording shows on both networks. I still schedule one PBS news show that repeats about twice a day. I manually delete those in advance.

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Probably best to avoid, here, getting into your personal immigration beliefs and characterizations (and in a tech. thread).

dianebrat likes this.
  18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You can find that topic can be expressed here: https://www.tivocommunity.com/commu...an-moving-towards-the-us-border.566868/unread
    But it's not free.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    so that is not a bug. It records them IN CASE they are new. While this was widespread with the daily show years ago, I really think it is a far safer choice.. I'd rather have extra recordings than MISS a new episode. Yes, I think there could easily be more tweaks in the rule to make it smarter... but the more tweaks you add to it, the more it makes it less understandable to non-geeks.

e.g. I think one reasonable tweak would be for any show that normally airs in prime time, don't record the guideless versions out of prime time.. But then that could miss a rare episode that was pushed into the middle of the night.

JSearfoss likes this.
  20. Bill Zardus

Bill Zardus New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    This issue is a little more complicated than I thought it was, before reading some of the responses
    here. It seems like stations should have a reliable way to indicate to the program guides if a show is
    "new" or not. But stations might not want to cooperate because most people are recording shows
    in order to fast-forward through their commercials.

I thought that the "new" indicator was what triggered recordings but after reading what Scott
    wrote, I looked back through my "to do list" and noticed some shows scheduled to record are not
    listed as new. That is probably how he surmised this.

It seems that if all parties involved had a genuine interest in a solution,
    it would have been done a long time ago.

If TIVO gave you an option to put a time into the one pass that would be an easy solution in
    most instances. But I have set a One Pass for the Philadelphia Eagles games and they play at a
    different time and/or a different day almost every week. (They also have a spanish broadcast of
    every game and i have to edit the "toDo" list to get rid of the spanish version as well.)

Bill Z

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018