OnePass: how to not record "new" shows that aren't "new"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jamesrob, May 13, 2017.

1. jamesrob

jamesrob New Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California...
    First, I'll make it clear. My politics are right in there with MSNBC.

HOWEVER, when I'm busy and might miss Rachel Maddow, I'd like to have a reservoir of the last 3 or 4 shows. However, because MS NBC repeats its 3 headliners 3 times each night, I don't know how to set my OnePass preferences so that I don't record her 3 times every day. Am I missing something?

2. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Not if the descriptions are EXACTLY the same.

I have the same problem with ABC Eye Witness News at 11PM - it repeats again at, IIRC, 1:30AM. So I just set a Manual Recording for the 11PM showing and keep 3 episodes.

6 posts in 13 years... Good SEARCHer! :thumbsup: ;)

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not you that's missing something, it's the TiVo. If you check the items in parenthesis just after the description, it says (HD, CC, and Stereo). Subsequent showing for that episode also have an "R" inside. But, for a long time now, the "R" is ignored. So a 1P set to New will record all the showings. You can complain to TiVo, but I think that has been done.
    TIVO Programming Guide doesn't recognize reruns correctly, treat some as "NEW"
    Rovi Lineup Issues & Corrections

I could go on, but you get the idea.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I wonder if the Tupper Method for wish lists would work. Search for it.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I solved it for another show not on MSNBC. :)
    I just did a Manual record at that hour and chose the station. Then, I said to record it every day and keep only 1 show. However, if you tell it to keep 4 shows it will have the last 4 days. I hope you come back to read this as it DOES work well!

Last edited: May 15, 2017