OnePass Confusion

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nony_ID, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jan 8, 2019 #1 of 10
    Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018

Advertisements

I thought I was getting a handle on the basics, but apparently maybe not.

I have a OnePass set up to record Vice News Tonight (7:30 PM) on the appropriate HD HBO channel. It was on hiatus over the holiday, but the OnePass has been working fine since the show returned, which means it recorded last Wednesday & Thursday.

About 7:45 tonight, I noticed the TiVo wasn't recording, tuned to HBO, saw the show was in fact airing, & hit Record -- it showed up in my Recordings as a partial recording. I'm 90% sure it was in my To Do List when I looked earlier today & it definitely shows in my To Do List for the rest of this week & next.

I went to check my OnePass settings to see why it wasn't recording as scheduled & don't see anything wrong with the settings (that worked fine last week). I looked at the Guide & the episode indicates "New," so I don't' know why the episode didn't record -- any suggestions?

The only thing I see is that the Guide lists the episode as "S2019 E3 '1-9-2019'". Of course, it's not 1-9-2019 yet, but the first aired date correctly shows as 1/7/2019. This incorrect date in the episode title continues through next Tuesday; at least as of tonight, this changes next Wednesday.

I know there wasn't some kind of signal interruption or short outage on HBO because the episode did record on another DVR (was in the process of being decommissioned) in the house.

In other weirdness: while I'm absolutely certain the show partially recorded (I saw the partial green bubble in My Shows: Recordings after 8 PM), that partial recording has now disappeared. What happened to it???

It's not in my Recently Deleted items. And, as long as I'm asking questions, what do the colored bars next to Recently Deleted mean? Some bars are blue, some are green, and some have no colored bar at all.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jan 8, 2019 #2 of 10
    KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    for your Pass question, see the discussion in the Alerts section.
    Vice News Tonight 1-7-2019

for general interface questions, I can't help you, but maybe a search can.

3. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Ugh - I'm seriously not understanding One Pass. I've had 2 more One Pass failures. I think I might understand one - even though the Guide shows it as New, Vice News Tonight again failed to record tonight after successfully recording last night & failing Monday. I *think* tonight failed because Monday's Guide showed an incorrect air date of 1/9/2019, which caused a record failure Monday night that I was able to record on another HBO channel 4.5 hours later. Do TiVos keep track of things that have been recently recorded & deleted? If so, how long is the memory? In my voracious reading, I think I read something about 28 days? That would explain tonight's failure -- I know with Moxi & series recordings, re-airings of something that had been recorded & deleted within the previous 14 days or something like that wouldn't record.

The second failure is more confusing & frustrating to me. I set up a One Pass to record all episodes (new & reruns) of Adam Ruins Everything on truTV. New episodes returned last night at 10 PM, the Guide incorrectly listed the episode as a rerun, but nothing recorded. Why?!? I tried looking in Recording Activity -- there's no indication that the show didn't record, nor is there anything about Vice News Tonight not recording Monday or tonight. Not very helpful. . .

I'll keep checking the Guide to see if the correct episodes get listed so I can catch the new episode that failed to record, but . . . how often does this kind of crapola happen? I mean, a big reason we have DVRs is so we don't have to be in front of the TV at specific times, but I seem to be having an unacceptably high failure rate due to Guide issues in the 2 weeks we've had the TiVos. SMH. I was willing to write off the first half-dozen or so failures to user error because I didn't know what I was doing & didn't know how to track down what went wrong, but . . . 3 failures this week alone because of Guide issues?! SMH

Maybe it's just bad luck on my part, but this isn't making me particularly popular in this household.

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The New flag is not considered for recording, the original air date is what determines whether to record or not.

TiVos remember that something has been recorded for 28 days.

News and sports programs seem to have bad data frequently, the guide is reasonably reliable for dramas and sitcoms. Some people record news programs with a manual recording to avoid guide issues.

5. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018

Advertisements

Thanks for the info! It certainly explains the Vice News Tonight failure to record.

I guess my question is more about having a One Pass scheduled to record "new & reruns" yet it didn't record the rerun? I looked through Recently Deleted & didn't see that the specific rerun episode had been recorded & deleted in the 2 weeks we've had the TiVos, so why didn't the One Pass record the episode . . . and why doesn't the record failure show up in Recording Activity?

6. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t record Adam Ruins Everything, but it looks like others may have had problems as well.

Adam Ruins Everything

Nony_ID likes this.
  7. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Those are two different options that mean different things.

New and reruns means it will track episode numbers and only record episodes it does not have. That combines two aspects. If you kept a copy it will not record another copy as long as you keep it. It will also not record another copy for 28 days until that episode number has fallen out of the record.

Everything will record everything including duplicates up to the listed maximum number of kept episodes. We have a travel show set to do this and we have to purge out duplicates regularly.

The failure mode has to do with more than just extended sports events. We handle that by adding an hour as the disk space is nearly unlimited these days. The failure mode is a crappy schedule. One of the channels of our local PBS station has scrambled episodes forever so that happened even before the broadcast schedule got unreliable. But the schedule has gotten worse and worse over time including many channels. Episodes not the one listed, no episode number listed, even the wrong show broadcast at the scheduled time.

For the moment selecting new and reruns works almost all of the time but it means something very different from record everything.

8. Nony_ID

Nony_ID Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Ahh -- thanks for this explanation because I didn't realize there was a difference. If I'm correctly understanding, I think for now, I might try setting that 1P to record everything rather than new & reruns. Personally, I'd rather delete duplicates than miss new episodes.

We have older Moxi HD DVRs that can no longer have hard drives replaced, so we are in the process of transitioning to TiVos. None of the Moxis have died yet (touch wood), so for the time being, I have multiple EPGs to compare. For the three failures this week, it was only the TiVos EPG that had bad data; the EPGs through the cableco box (Spectrum - no clue who provides their data) & Moxi (Gracenote, IIRC) were correct. I was hoping to pull the Moxis before outright failure to clear some space, but I guess I'm grateful to have alternate -- and more correct -- EPGs as a backup for now.

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Sometimes the crappy schedule makes sense after the fact even though it's based on an event that happened so fast it could not be included in the daily database updates.

This week there was a State Of The Union address and then a reply by a couple of folks in Congress. This event happened without a day of notice. When NCIS New Orleans came on it was an old episode not the new scheduled one. I looked in the schedule and the next two new episodes have been pushed back. Overall I like this strategy - Don't let an emergent event spoil a new episode so broadcast a rerun and push the schedule out a week.

10. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Did you have all tuners in use by the main box or a mini? Also, check the to do list- it may be recording a second showing later if it saw conflicts.