OnePass and the loss of multiple SP for same show

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by csell, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1 of 365
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007

Advertisements

I've seen other complain and discuss this issue in various threads, but I want to see if anyone has a solution. Before OnePass, it was possible to set up multiple Season Passes for the same show but on different channels. I used this ALOT. An example - Law and Order SVU. One season pass for NBC to record all new episodes. And a second season pass on USA to record repeats. I has it setup to keep up to 10 of the repeat USA shows. This way, anytime there was nothing to watch, I would be able to just pick an old SVU to watch. And with the NBC season pass, I got all of the new ones. One important feature of this is the 10 episodes on the USA season pass just keep replacing each other and left alone the new NBC season pass. This was very important as I never worried about losing a new episode of SVU.

Now with the new OnePass, Tivo took away this feature from us, which I know upsets a lot of people. My question is, Is there any way of duplicating what I used to do (and I'm sure others do as well). I know you can set Channel to "All" and Record to "New and Repeats". This will get the new episodes on NBC and the repeats on other channels (but the capability to select what channel was taken away). But the big problem I see is the new episodes can be deleted at anytime. If you know anything about SVU, you know there are TONS of episodes on all of the time. So it could record the new epidode on Wed night and then by Thursday afternoon, it could be deleted because 10 repeat epidodes were recorded on another channel. This is a problem. You can say, just mark the new episode as Keep until I delete, but I should not have to remember to go in there every Wed night to mark it. Tivo is suppose to make TV watching easier, not more difficult. Not a fan of this at all.

Any thoughts?

2. Feb 4, 2015 #2 of 365
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    For your case, where you want some re-run episodes of SVU available to watch, and you never want to lose a "new" episode, I recommend:

- Set your OnePass to record only "NEW" episodes
    - In Settings, turn on auto-recording of TiVo Suggestions
    - Give SVU three thumbs up

Now re-runs that are recorded as TiVo Suggestions will appear in your SVU folder. (They will be clearly marked with the black icon.)

You also may want to set the OnePass to "recordings and streaming videos" and "Don't include Rent or Buy". Then if there are free ways to stream old episodes, those will be available in the folder as well.

3. Feb 4, 2015 #3 of 365
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    By turning on Tivo Suggestions, My Shows are now going to be populated with other TV shows that I don't want. I've never used Tivo Suggestions and don't feel like I should be forced to use it to try to bring back functionality that has always been there for the 10+ years I've had it. I've talked to a lot of people that are upset about losing this functionality.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #4 of 365
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really appreciate your participation here, and highly respect you,

But you cannot honestly believe this non-solution is what the users want. Sure you will get a few completely random repeats, and many other suggestions you do not need/want recorded.

This is not the programmers solution, this is the marketing dept answer.

5. Feb 4, 2015 #5 of 365
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Advertisements

Not a solution, but you don't have to wait for it to record before marking it KUID. You can do it any time before it records from the To Do List.

6. Feb 4, 2015 #6 of 365
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007

Thank you - well said... It's frustrating that Tivo has come up with this "new" way of watching shows and is forcing all of their loyal customers to use it... And my favorite is when they say "free ways to stream old episodes". There is NO FREE WAY of streaming shows - they all cost money - Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and so on. They all have monthly or yearly charges.

7. Feb 4, 2015 #7 of 365
    cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

I'd like to hear your solution to "PGA Tour Golf" where it's shown on two different channels on the same day with the same Guide data. "New only" means it doesn't record on the second channel because it thinks it has already recorded it earlier. "New & repeats" gets you the reair later in the evening and causes conflicts. You also can't pad properly. The second recording needs to be padded for overruns, but the first never needs to be because it always ends on time due to the channel change.

Another example is "NFL Football". I only want to record Thursday night games and Monday night games. This is no longer possible.

8. Feb 4, 2015 #8 of 365
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I agree, I'm not going to like this either, and it's seriously making me think of looking for another DVR. This causes a MAJOR problem. I record the Simpsons on Fox on Sunday nights. I have it set to keep all episodes and to keep until I delete, and because football is usually on before, I set it to extend the recording 3 hours longer. I also record repeats of the Simpsons in syndication on a different channel. I don't want those to keep until I delete, and I certainly don't want them being extended by 3 hours. So I have a couple of options, neither of which will be ideal. I can either stop recording the syndication/repeats, or leave the syndication/repeat settings, and manually go in and edit the ones on Fox. Neither are ideal or automatic like how it currently works, and I won't like it. And no, I'm sorry, but I don't like the suggestion of hoping Suggestions decides to record the repeats. I want to ensure that they're recorded, and I also want to ensure that the new Fox episodes are extended by 3 hours and are keep until I delete. This OnePass just seems like a MAJOR step backwards!

9. Feb 4, 2015 #9 of 365
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Absolutely agree. Tivo thought they were revolutionizing the way you watch TV, but instead what they did was take away Tivo's biggest strong point - the ability to very easily (through an awesome UI) record whatever you want, whenever you want, and however you want. No cable DVR can do it like Tivo could. And now they took that away because they tried to get "cute" with a new way of doing it.

10. Feb 5, 2015 #10 of 365
    SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Active Member

Dec 26, 2000
    I thought those games showed up in the guide as Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football. No?

11. Feb 5, 2015 #11 of 365
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You could use a Wish List for the repeats. If you're specific with the title, and maybe throw in the name of one of the main actors, it should only pick up that show. Not a perfect solution, but it should work better then using Suggestions.

12. Feb 5, 2015 #12 of 365
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Would the wishlist ignore the episodes on Fox?

13. Feb 5, 2015 #13 of 365
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you put it at a lower priority then the higher priority 1P would record the episodes on Fox and the WL would get everything else. The 28 day rule would prevent both from getting it.

14. Feb 5, 2015 #14 of 365
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm going to try that. Thanks! Still prefer the old way of having 2 season passes, though!

15. Feb 5, 2015 #15 of 365
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No. All regular season games are titled, "NFL Football".

16. Feb 5, 2015 #16 of 365
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Dan mentioned using WL's for repeats, or you can set a KUID Wishlist for new episodes, and set a season pass for repeats on the best channel.

17. Feb 5, 2015 #17 of 365
    RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    That does work however if you set up a bunch of shows that way (and I do have more than one SP for a bunch of shows) you will now have 2 folders in your programs list for each -- a real mess.

18. Feb 5, 2015 #18 of 365
    Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    The solutions offered here, guys, are valid solutions. You're essentially saying "no valid solution is valid unless it's identical to the way it used to work." If that's what you want, make a thread for "throwing tantrums about functionality changes." If what you want is real suggestions for work arounds that give you the shows you want, but maybe in a different way, or maybe you have to delete some excess recordings, then try some of the stuff that's been suggested here.

This "no true solution" non-sense I'm reading isn't helping anyone.

Like, for real, "the folder isn't there, so it doesn't work?" Are you ****ing kidding me? We're talking about a device that magically gives you infinite shows to watch and you're mad because they might be in a different folder than you want, and that's worth being a pedantic **** to a TiVo rep that is trying to help you? Who does that?

19. Feb 5, 2015 #19 of 365
    csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    What is a KUID Wishlist?

20. Feb 5, 2015 #20 of 365
    cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    KUID = Keep Until I Delete