One remote - bluetooth &/or infrared? Advice...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by akc, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    OK, so I think I've finally got the equipment actually squared away but now have to deal with the 10 remotes.

I'm looking for one remote to try to control the list below. Oh, and it's all behind closed (antique) furniture doors... that's the complication!

I did get the Tivo Slide Bluetooth remote and it works like a charm for the Tivo, but I can't control the Pioneer receiver with it. (That's a side question - can one remote do both bluetooth and infrared or it's one or the other? There is a bluetooth adaptor for the Pioneer but all I read says it's for playing music from bluetooth devices. Could that still work if paired with a remote?)

Anyway, here's the list of items:
    - Samsung PN50C-7000 3D plasma
    - Pioneer VSX-1020 Receiver (*not* the 1020-K unfortunately, just the 1020)
    - Tivo Premiere XL
    - Tivo Premiere
    - Comcast Digital Set Top Box
    - Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD BD-C6800
    - Power on for the Wii (would need to interact with it more beyond that)

Is Logitech Harmony (? model) my best bet even when behind wood doors?

I love the peanut (and really like the slide) so I'd love to keep using that with just it for the Tivo Premiere XL and the receiver, but I don't know that it can work that way.

Thx!
    akc

Bonus points if I can control the Mac Mini in the same cabinet but I'm not serious about that! :)

2. Oct 2, 2011 #2 of 10
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Can't speak to the Logitech current rf remotes but can say their 890 does a great job of RF and ir. It comes with an rf receiving puck that you stuff in the cabinet and can connect ir emmiters to to attach to each device. Sadly they don't make the 890 anymore so the places that sell it aren't discounting it at all so its pricey if you can even find it. Not sure what their current models are.

3. Oct 2, 2011 #3 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Hmmmm - Thanks. Why is it that sometimes these companies mess with a good thing? I'll look into it though.

Here's what I can't figure out - is bluetooth always bluetooth? In other words, if the adaptor offered by Pioneer would allow me to send remote signals from my iPhone, iPad or play music via bluetooth, could it also be paired with the Slide remote?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Accessories/AS-BT200

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-AS-BT100-Bluetooth-Compatible/dp/B002RAOCPK

I could live with one, less expensive universal remote for all the other stuff - if I can control the Tivo and the Receiver together via bluetooth (behind closed doors), I'm a happy girl. Two remotes - I can live with.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #4 of 10
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    I am under the impression that most Bluetooth peripherals (like a remote) can only pair to one thing at a time. So the TiVo remote probably can only work one tivo and nothing more by Bluetooth. Anything else would likely need to be ir.

5. Oct 2, 2011 #5 of 10
    MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    Also the Bluetooth devices have to have the right "profiles" the description from your amazon link of the pioneer adapter seems to indicate that it only supports the audio profiles and not vido or data (and presumably not input devices like the TiVo remote)

6. Oct 2, 2011 #6 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Yep - you're right on both fronts. OK, so back to the standard options... thanks for clearing that up!

7. Oct 3, 2011 #7 of 10
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Note that both the Tivo Premiere and the Pioneer VSX-1020 appear (from reading the specs) to support remote control over Ethernet. Thus, you might be able to use an iPhone/iPod/iPad app to control them.

If so, you can control them not only through closed doors, but perhaps even from the opposite side of the planet if you so desire.

8. Oct 3, 2011 #8 of 10
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Finding a universal remote is easy. I particularly like the one-for-all 8-in-1 remote. It's very inexpensive afik, it does everything the Harmony's do. Problem is you need RF as I did as well. That's where the Next Generation Remote Control Extender comes in handy. It will practically turn any remote into an RF remote. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generati...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317646952&sr=1-1

9. Oct 4, 2011 #9 of 10
    akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    @smbaker: Thanks - I'll check into that (and thanks for reading the specs!) - both are directly hard wired to the network so I'll check out the app for the Pioneer too. And, I'll ponder how far on the planet I'd like to go and test it! Great excuse for a vaca! :)

@jtreid: I'll check into the Next Gen Remote Control Expander. Appreciate the tip! May have some questions as I explore but it looks promising.

Thanks, all!

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    make sure wherever you but the next gen extender will take returns.

looks like genius product but i didn't have luck.

I bought one (or a very similar thing) from weaknees (a sponsor of this website IIRC) before i got the Harmony 890 and it didn't work for me. It was either getting screwed up by my lcd tv's backlight (jamming the IR receiver) or the flourcesnt light in the closet next door (rf interference from the ballest). The tech support couldn't figure it out.

Weaknees was kind enough to take it back easily.

if it works it looks like the best thing since sliced white bread.